What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Formation Clinics n Formation Q's

grantcarruthers

Well Known Member
Anyone have info on formation clinics this coming year or is it too early for those to be scheduled already?

Any recommendations for good books or web pages to start with for solo ground school pre-prep?

And lastly, are chutes required? Seems it'd be a great idea to wear one and I need to get one sooner than later anyway but just wonder if most groups require'em.

Starting to think about my aviation goals for 09 and after the instrument rating 'finish up', formation sounds like a great new direction to expand the skill set.

Happy Holidays and may everyone have great family and RV stories to tell coming into the new year.

Grant

Thread moved to formation section.

Team RV will be hosting a 3 day RV formation clinic in Atlanta KAND the weekend of April 17-19 2009.

More details in a month or so when I get on the other side of the new year.

We have an FAQ covering all of your questions here.
Best

Last edited:
Kahuna -- How do you treat "beginners"? Is everyone that is "new" to RV formation treated the same or do you tailor your training to people with prior formation training and experience?

The training is treated for this type of clinic exactly to the new guy. Experienced pilots share their time and enjoyment of formation for free to promote the hobby to new guys and advance their own skills. We have other clinics for advanced training only, but this one in April one is tailored for everyone.
We have 3 buckets.
1. Beginners = not cleared for solo:eek:
2. Intermediate = cleared solo into a formation but keep an eye on em:rolleyes:
3. Advanced = demonstrated competent formation and headed for check ride:):D

The cat 1 guys we call 'red scary guys' cause on my formation planning spreadsheet, every pilot is color coded to ease the scheduling of pilots. Beginners are in the color of red on the spreadsheet which is beamed from the projector onto the wall for mission scheduling. 'Red scary guys' get handed an instructor and the instructor decides when the pilot is cleared solo and signs him off to move on to another group of intermediates. Might be first flight, might be never. If the beginner is completely new to formation altogether, he gets special handling. His first ride is as a GIB (guy in back) in a 4 ship so he can see first hand what it is supposed to look like. Then the instructor rides GIB with the student until he is cleared solo. Which as I mentioned, might be one flight many, or never.

Every pilot is a 'red scary guy' until they prove otherwise to one of the flight leads. You might be a veteran F-15 pilot with stars and bars and a resume a mile long, but until you prove you are safe and competent to one of our flight leads in your RV, your a 'red scary guy.'

This is how we transition pilots to more advanced training. Its a proven effective system and pilots can progress as slowly or as quickly as their skill and discipline allows.

I hope this answers your question. Feel free to ask more.
Best,

Last edited:
Thanks that answered my question perfectly. I am seriously considering coming, sounds to me like your program is very well thought out. Thank you again

Tony
Pretty much the rest of us will bow down in recognition of your superior judgement in selecting the perfect airplane to build!:D
Best regards

Back