What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Folding bike in a -4 baggage

Camillo

Well Known Member
Hello.
My Brompton doesn't fit in the baggage area of my new -4. It is a couple of inches longer than the baggage area and the rear seat can't rest on the fuselage.
In order not to start slotting the baggage rear cover and/or the pax seat, does any one know which folding bike may fit? I saw the Kwiggle may fit. However, they only sell on-line and I would like to test it before spending 1.600 euros...

Any idea?
Thanks.
Camillo

P.S.: also the Xiaomi scooter doesn't fit

I typically just remove the back seat in my -4 when I need to carry something oversized. Unless you absolutely need the seat installed it will be the easiest option for you.

If you look for a Kwiggle forum, I bet there is someone close to you that would let you give it a try. Maybe for a quick ride in your plane!

I have a 9A and fit two of the Zizzo foldable bikes in the back of my plane. I have had several pilots stop by to check if they fit in their planes. I have not had a 4 yet but the Zizzo is larger than the Brompton so Im pretty sure they wouldnt fit yours.

Good Luck.

saw the Kwiggle may fit. However, they only sell on-line and I would like to test it

Absolutely! Friend of mine bought one to fit in his Pulsar… I had a go on the Kwiggle, but remain far from convinced. The quality looks good, but the stance, and above all the wagging saddle would certainly take some getting used to…

Thank-you

Thank-you.
Yes, the Zizzo looks higher and wider, folded.
Dan, when you remove the seat, how do you secure the bike? I don't want it to come ahead and interfere with the rear stick bar...

Thank-you.
Yes, the Zizzo looks higher and wider, folded.
Dan, when you remove the seat, how do you secure the bike? I don't want it to come ahead and interfere with the rear stick bar...

I have a four point harness installed that I find has enough length I can rig it as a retention strap of sorts for most items, latch it and snug the straps down. I haven’t had any issues with cargo shifting in normal transit flight regimes that way.

when I built the -4 I incorporated 4 of those cargo tie-down anchors, screwed on the longerons...

Attachments

• td.jpeg
    td.jpeg
    16.5 KB · Views: 15
Back