What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flight Test Cards

Xkuzme1

Well Known Member
The FAAs most recent guidance for test flight (AC 90-89c) recommends testing a new airplane from 25-40 hours… but there is a kicker. The in lieu of the 25-40 an approved Flight Test Card system can be used. When completed, the aircraft can be considered finished with phase 1.

I have a set of flight task cards that I got and modified for the F-4 Raider that is being inspected this Friday March 22nd.

I also ordered the EAA Cards some time ago, but they don’t appear to want to make it before Friday.

There are lots of links out there for flight test cards, but not many are designed for our types of airplanes.

Does anyone have anything they could email or DM me that I could look at possibly use for flight testing?

Wish my luck on Friday.

Thanks,

X

Back when I finished, there was not much to refer to regarding flight testing. Vans had many ideas in their manual, as I recall. I made up my own with some input from somewhere else as well; I really don't remember where. They were pretty complete and tested all the required parameters and things I wanted to know about the airplane. I had initially had 25 cards; my logbook shows 28 test flights total. I would need to dig around in a file I am not sure where is to find the cards. (My basement recently flooded....) I also found that I would modify the cards as my testing went along, subtracting things from a specific flight and adding others. My testing took 41.7 hours, ending Phase 1 but I continued with 3 more specific test flights after. I was doing several things: 1) Testing the airplane in all of its possible flight parameters I would subject it to. 2) Comply with the 40-hour test period. 3) [and perhaps most importantly] getting familiar with a brand-new airplane: new to me and just plain NEW! Did I mention I was having a ball being a Test Pilot? It amazes me when I hear of builders having other people 'fly off the hours' for them to get to 40. What a wasted opportunity.

The flight task cards you made are probably just fine. I ordered the EAA cards and (pardon me) found them to be a little disappointing. It might be that I thought mine were a little more thorough. There are 18 cards and are a good basis for making your own and expanding things a little/lot. I found the recommended flight hours were actually not quite enough. I'll see if I can find that file but that was many computers ago.

IMHO; YMMV..

Good luck on Friday! I hope it's the 29th! If it was the 22nd, you missed it! 😊 Or had it done already but your post was today.....:unsure:

The new Task Based Phase 1 is not specific about which test cards you have to use, or in fact, what the content of the test plan has to be. By the rules, you simply have to have a “test program”. As long as it’s is clearly well-thought-out and comprehensive, I dont mind if the person uses the EAA program or another one - but I’d want it at least as comprehensive as the EAA plan, which is sort of the model on which the program was based (and sold).

And one thing to remember is the old saying that “no battle plan survives first contact with the enemy….” Once you get into a flight test program, don’t be afraid to change things up if required. If your’e first flight doesn;t go as planned - repeat it! If you go up for a flight to do airspeed calibrations, but the air is to rough, do stalls instead (carry two test cards - a prime and an alternate - for all flights). The plan is the plan - but its your plan, and you can change it.

Last edited:
Back