What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flight Data G3X Touch

HEB1022

A couple of Question for G3X users… I know you can capture flight data (that can be uploaded to savvyaviation) by keeping an SD card in the EFiS.

My questions.

Does the data captured differ between the PFD and MFD, or would be identical installed in either screen?

If I fly without an SD card, is the flight data captured and stored internally in the G3X and can it be downloaded to SD card at a later time? If so, what procedure is used to download?

Thanks in advance,

Harry

A couple of Question for G3X users… I know you can capture flight data (that can be uploaded to savvyaviation) by keeping an SD card in the EFiS.

My questions.

Does the data captured differ between the PFD and MFD, or would be identical installed in either screen?

If I fly without an SD card, is the flight data captured and stored internally in the G3X and can it be downloaded to SD card at a later time? If so, what procedure is used to download?

Thanks in advance,

Harry

I have found that the data from the PFD and MFD are basically identical.

I think there is some sort of internal log but it is not the same as what gets logged to the SD card. It is my understanding that if you don't have an SD card inserted then you don't get the log. The normal log doesn't get stored internally.

I believe you can download up to the number of flights you choose in the setup memory settings. I forgot a card one time and later downloaded the flights. It took a LONG time - maybe an hour but it downloaded a ton of flights. I then changed it to 10 flights memory since I didnt think I would forget a card for more than 10 flights. At least that is what I remember!

Fly with a SD card

My questions.

Thanks in advance,

Harry

Data is identical, same can bus.

A $ 10 SD card can capture a years' worth of data, why complicate the issue. Get 2 and rotate every month and yes Savoy is a good way to review files.

I grab every data log and upload to flysto.net for analysis. It’s the best visualization tool for the data I have found.

If you carry around a little SD Card to Lightning/USB-C adapter for your phone, it makes it super easy to do right as you put the airplane away for the day.

Thanks for the tip!

I just uploaded some flight data to flysto.net. What an awesome program. I especially like the ability to replay the flight. It even shows the traffic.

The only difference between the two will be a result of which one has the GEA 24 connected to it and turned on first. For instance, if you turn on your MFD with the battery master (presumably to monitor the engine during startup), and then the PFD once the the avionics master is turned on, then the data the MFD gathered during startup will not be on the PFD, but once both are on, the data on both SD cards will be identical from that point on.

Flight Data Log

Good Morning Harry!

Through small tweaks over the years, the logs have become nearly identical. Only recently did we start logging all ADAHRS source's data in every log, you used to have to keep a card in each to display to capture ADAHRS data for multiple sources.

You need to keep a card in the display during the flight to capture the Flight Data Log information. There is no option to extract a FDL from the display to an SD card after the flight.

Along the lines of this topic, we recommend you keep a card in each and every available SD or microSD card slot, at all times. Its always useful to have that data there should you need it, but it also protects the card reader components within the display. There is no reason to keep that slot open, and collecting dust. A dummy card will do the trick, but additional SD cards can be acquired relatively cheap and there are benefits to capturing that data.

Thanks,

Justin

Along the lines of this topic, we recommend you keep a card in each and every available SD or microSD card slot, at all times. Its always useful to have that data there should you need it, but it also protects the card reader components within the display. There is no reason to keep that slot open, and collecting dust.

This made it to my preflight checklist. While I'm in the cabin checking various things anyway, I check to make sure all SD cards are present in the displays. Not safety related, but it's a bummer to finish up a flight, get excited about analyzing the log (yes I'm a geek), and then realize you forgot to put the SD card in.

Back