What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall sealant

hamblin10

I'm getting ready to start section 22 and see the KIA instruct to use fuel tank sealant for the firewall. Should this not be firewall sealant such as Flamemaster CS-1900 sold in the vans store? Thanks!

I'm getting ready to start section 22 and see the KIA instruct to use fuel tank sealant for the firewall. Should this not be firewall sealant such as Flamemaster CS-1900 sold in the vans store? Thanks!

As far as I know, that is the correct interpretation. That sealant is used generically as an adhesive/sealant in a number of places throughout the build.

FYI, 3M makes a fire proof sealant that comes in a tube for a caulking gun that would be quite a bit more convenient for these type of small applications.

3M 2000+

This stuff.
3M™ Fire Barrier Silicone Sealant 2000+
By the way, if you take a piece of packing tape and wrap the tip, it seals really well. Next use just peel off the tape and squeeze over a trash can. If there's a plug set up, it comes right out.

…and

…and the Fire Barrier 2000+ is NOT the same that they sell at most big box stores, labeled with Fire Barrier CP.

Make sure you get the 2000+ type.

Don't use a polysulfide sealant (aka proseal) in a firewall.

The FireBarrier 2000+ tests well.

I recently ran some tests with "real" firewall sealants. They generally fall into two classes, rubber based and silicone based. The recent market entries all seem to be silicones. Current favorite is Dapco 2100, as it is single part, no mixing, thus easy to dispense with little waste. Performance appeared to be on par with the two-part choices.

As Bob said, the home store 3M sealant is a latex base. Nope.

There is also a FireBarrier 1000NS availalbe from 3M. Looking at the specs between it and FireBarrier 2000, I'm having a hard time determining what the primary difference is between the two. 1000NS is about 1/2 the price.

Don't use a polysulfide sealant (aka proseal) in a firewall.

The FireBarrier 2000+ tests well.

I recently ran some tests with "real" firewall sealants. They generally fall into two classes, rubber based and silicone based. The recent market entries all seem to be silicones. Current favorite is Dapco 2100, as it is single part, no mixing, thus easy to dispense with little waste. Performance appeared to be on par with the two-part choices.

As Bob said, the home store 3M sealant is a latex base. Nope.

I’m curious why you say not to use Polysulfide on the firewall? I bought Flamemaster CS3204 tank sealant for my firewall as the plans said to “apply tank sealant to all seams and rivet heads on the firewall”. Is there a great concern of using polysulfide and should I now scrape off a hundred rivet heads? I’m not trying to argue, just curious cause the plans didn’t say to avoid using a particular type of sealant.

Attachments

• IMG_2422.jpeg
    IMG_2422.jpeg
    450.9 KB · Views: 63
I’m curious why you say not to use Polysulfide on the firewall? I bought Flamemaster CS3204 tank sealant for my firewall as the plans said to “apply tank sealant to all seams and rivet heads on the firewall”. Is there a great concern of using polysulfide and should I now scrape off a hundred rivet heads? I’m not trying to argue, just curious cause the plans didn’t say to avoid using a particular type of sealant.

I've wondered about this too. Has anybody asked Van's tech support? For those of us building E-LSA, I think we're supposed to use whatever is specified in the plans.

I'll modify the statement. Don't use proseal in overlap seams.

Sealing the head of a rivet on the engine side of the firewall is not a problem. Use proseal if you wish. As a general rule, you can put practically anything on the engine side of a firewall without concern.

Dan,

I'm curious about what your testing found between the 3M FireBarrier 2000 and the Dapco2100.

FireBarrier is $41 for 10oz and Dapco is $196 for 6oz.

So I called tech support and they explained that fuel tank sealant is used only to keep carbon monoxide out of the cabin. This sorta makes sense to me as only the flanges are sealed and not every rivet if we were really concerned about fire.

So I called tech support and they explained that fuel tank sealant is used only to keep carbon monoxide out of the cabin. This sorta makes sense to me as only the flanges are sealed and not every rivet if we were really concerned about fire.

Well, for me personally, anytime I am dealing with the firewall I am concerned about fire.

If you have a fire in front of the firewall, it gets bad fast! Just some of those concerns are when stuff heats up and starts melting, off gassing, billowing smoke and burning.

Have had many a firefighter tell me that most people die from smoke than from the actual fire during an incident.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, my understanding is that those building as E-LSA don't have a choice. We have to build per the instructions.

Unfortunately, my understanding is that those building as E-LSA don't have a choice. We have to build per the instructions.

An E-LSA builder will sign a document stating that is what they did.

Without remembering exactly what they were, I recall there being at least a few places where this was may have not even been possible due to availability of materials or parts changes.

Back