What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finally, we get to show our glass panel

MrNomad

Well Known Member
After a year of work and planning, here is the first display of the panel for our 9a. My thanks to my good friend and building partner Chet for all of his hard work.[font=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

http://www.arizonaairparks.com/rv-panel

[/font]

I think it looks like some very smart decisions were made in purchasing your avionics!

Is this for IFR?

I assume it is but it looks like you only have the ability to do ILS and VOR approaches...Unless the lowrance is an approach certified GPS?

Are you using the Dynon as your Nav head for the ILS?...It should work (and you have two of them for redundancy), but having never used one I'm not sure how comfortable I would be with using the Dynon that way.

Do you have an autopilot? (Can't remember looking at your panel)...HIGHLY desirable for a 7a particularly for IFR.

Looks nice

Frank

RE:MODULE

MrNomad said:
After a year of work and planning, here is the first display of the panel for our 9a. My thanks to my good friend and building partner Chet for all of his hard work.[font=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

http://www.arizonaairparks.com/rv-panel

[/font]

I see you are ready for the Dynon module......as am I. I am working on or should I say cutting some pretty big rectangles out of my panel....you know the drill. Great Panel/Great Job/ !!!!! :D

Frank @ SGU RV7A Panel/Electrical....FWF

Nice work

I have the little Dynons in my -9A and love them. Wait till you see the software that is coming soon!

I really like the jig to cut the holes - nice work!

Thanks for the compliments

frankh said:
I assume it is but it looks like you only have the ability to do ILS and VOR approaches...Unless the lowrance is an approach certified GPS? Are you using the Dynon as your Nav head for the ILS?...It should work (and you have two of them for redundancy), but having never used one I'm not sure how comfortable I would be with using the Dynon that way. Do you have an autopilot? (Can't remember looking at your panel) ...HIGHLY desirable for a 7a particularly for IFR. Looks nice
Frank
Yes, I plan to fly IFR, ILS & VOR approaches. The SL30 sends serial data to the Dynon which serves as the CDI. No, the Lowrance is not GPS certified. The mission is flights to/fro Long Beach from TIA so my primary IFR usage will be the cloud layer that lies over the coast. After that, it's usually clear skies to Tucson.

Given that Dynon has all the data required to drive an autopilot, I'm hopeful they will release one soon.

If my equipment selection was good, it's because of the incredible Tucson support team around me. My build partner Chet deserves much of the credit for the 1/2" steel mock up panel we used to cut the alum. He measured each device and each combo of radios and machined a piece of OAK for the exact size of the req'd hole. Then he welded the jig around the OAK pieces after laying out the panel using a CAD program.

The jig served as a template over the alum. Chet had a great idea. I did the cutting cause of my steady hand.

Concerning redundancy, we have the standard 60 amp alternator power, main battery, battery pack in each Dynon which allege 1.5 hours of operation (people report much more), batteries in the Lowrance, two radios plus a handheld Sporty's, and a hand held Magellan.

If I get lost or lose comm, it CAN ONLY BE pilot error.

Back