What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finally Inexpensive Lighting

ww2planes

Well Known Member
I recently located a company that sells position strobe combinations at a very good price. They are called Skybright. They have a great led product that will be on the ends of my wings. The package looks nice and should fit inside of the wingtip cutouts. For a position strobe unit without a rear facing white light he quoted $269.00. I challenge anyone to beat this price and get a package half as nice.

I have been talking with Rob Rollison of Skybright and he has been patient, timely and very polite. Check them out at the folowing sight.

http://www.airplanegear.com/skybright.htm

Is there documentation it meets FARS

ww2planes said:
I recently located a company that sells position strobe combinations at a very good price. They are called Skybright. They have a great led product that will be on the ends of my wings. The package looks nice and should fit inside of the wingtip cutouts. For a position strobe unit without a rear facing white light he quoted $269.00. I challenge anyone to beat this price and get a package half as nice.

I have been talking with Rob Rollison of Skybright and he has been patient, timely and very polite. Check them out at the folowing sight.

http://www.airplanegear.com/skybright.htm
No matter if you are an experimental you must meet the FARS for coverage, color and intensity. The burden of proof is up to the builder and doubt a DAR would turn you down because it does not say Whelen. However.....

A couple of things: The strobe bulb is blocked by the fwd/aft Nav light shield/reflectors; even if mounted protruding from wing tip it does not look like it will have strobe coverage.

The NAV lights do not look like they can make the required coverage. I looked into making my own and this does not look like you would have the power in the obtuse direction.

Cheers George.

Brightness

I asked about this and Rob stated that they are actually brighter than what is required. As far as a strobe, you would have to nearly completely enclose one before it would be blocked. For many experimental aircraft the builder has options. This is a great one.

Page text

RV_7A said:
linky no workee :)

Linky workees for me, but in case you can't see it, here's the text from the page at least:

High-powered, lightweight strobe/lighting systems now available in three configurations:

Skybright standard Skybright streamlined Skybright nightlights

Skybright nightlights . . .
A strobe/position-light system in our streamlined housing. A pair of units includes red (left) and green (right) forward LED lights and white rear LED lights, with our super-bright strobe in the center.
complete dual-strobe/light system... $329.00 strobe/position-lights - click for larger photo strobe/position-lights - click for larger photo
Skybright streamlined . . .
Our super-bright strobe in a lightweight, streamlined housing.
single strobe system... $160.00
dual strobe system... $220.00 streamlined strobe head - click for larger photo streamlined strobe head - click for larger photo
Skybright standard . . .
Our super-bright strobe in round housings. Strobe heads are 3.5" tall with a 2.2" diameter.
single strobe system... $149.00
dual strobe system... $199.00 standard strobe heads - click for larger photo strobe heads with power supply - click for larger photo

The Skybright strobe and strobe/position-light systems include the strobe power supply (requires 12VDC power). Our special strobe power supply is "programmable" to 12 different flash patterns! The system can be easily set for each strobe head to single-flash, double-flash, triple-flash, quad-flash, and in several alternating combinations. This special feature allows you to set the strobe flash pattern that will be most effective for your application and installation. The strobe power supply weights 17 oz. and draws 40 watts as 12v. The standard strobe heads weigh 4.5 oz. each while the streamlined strobe heads and strobe/position-light heads weigh 3.0 oz. each. Our strobe systems do not include strobe extension cables but we offer convenient pre-wired cables which we stock in lengths from 3' to 30' (also with bulk cable available) as listed below. Warranty: Two years on the strobe power supplies, two years on the LED lights, and one year on strobe bulbs.

strobe/position-lights - click for larger photo strobe/position-lights - click for larger photo streamlined heads with power supply - click for larger photo standard strobe head - click for larger photo

Strobe Extension Cables (light-duty, 3-conductor, 18 gauge, shielded) with prewired connectors . . .
3' extension cable with prewired connectors... $ 6.80
6' extension cable with prewired connectors... $ 7.70
8' extension cable with prewired connectors... $ 8.30
10' extension cable with prewired connectors... $ 8.90
15' extension cable with prewired connectors... $ 10.80
Please Note: for extension cables longer than 15', the heavy-duty (16 ga.) cable should be used instead of the light-duty cable. We offer the heavy-duty cable in bulk as listed below along with connectors.
heavy-duty cable (3-conductor, 16 gauge, shielded)... $ 0.60/foot (cable only)
male or female connectors including pins... $ 0.75/each

for more information or to place an order, please email or call . . .

Rollison Airplane Company, Inc.
Route #2, Box 186, Bloomfield, Indiana 47424
phone: 812-384-4972 fax: 812-384-0518 email: [email protected]
please also visit . . . www.RLSA.us

Good for the wings...

but what about the white tail light and strobe? What are you going to do there? (Assuming the newer style wing tips.)

Do you have to use the Whelen's light/strobe combo?

Clarification

The strobe is included. you can simply run power to the tail light and that issue is taken care of. These light some in several combinations. Chack out the website. The one that is not pictured is the one that I will be using for my wingtips with the cutouts. These are position and strobe units similar to the piggyback style from Whelen.

WW2P,

I'm confused by your reply. Are you saying the strobe power supply can power the tail strobe light?

Aeroflash?

It seems that Aeroflash strobes are not that much more, and you can put the power supply in the wing tip. But at least there is a choice.

Pete

Hello 941

This is a two strobe system for wing tips. On the tial you can put the standard white light or contact Skbright ans ask them if they have a three srobe system but I have not talked to them about a three strope combo.

I agree with GMCJETPILOT that they don't appear to have the coverage needed to be the sole anticollision lights (strobe). To be legal I'm guessing you'd have to install a belly strobe as well.

Ok

sonex293 said:
These look like the strobes sold by http://www.gs-air.com . If so, you can find the GS-Air technical documentation here:

http://www.geocities.com/americanstoo/GSAirTechDocument.pdf

--Michael
This document states what the requirements are and by explaination how it meets these requirments, with out test.

As far as anti-collision it must converge at a point with in 1200 feet in front and behind the aircraft. This is not addressed. If it does , it does, that's cool, but to get 400 candles you would think that Nav light reflectors (front and back) would block the intensity somewhat. Also with out a focus lens to direct and amplify the strobe bulb light in the horizontal plane (mostly from +/- 10 degrees from the horizontal), I don't see how it can do it, but in this document they point out it is up to the builder to meet the requirment, which is a fair and true statement.

I am not saying it does not make it, but it does not look like it from inspection you will get the proper coverage fwd and aft. Look a Whelen, it is protruding strobe with a lens to intensify the light in the proper horizontal plane / direction.

As far as the NAV lights I don?t know. I think the words are good, love the reflector (which is somewhat like whelen's and BFgoodrich's approach for their LED nav lights, but all 28V). I have no reason to doubt the logic, but I think testing would be the only way to verify meeting the requirements. However it is up to the builder to prove it not the manufacture (of non TSO'ed) equipment.

Lights (anti-collision and nav) and transponders are two items I know of, off the top of my head, that must meet TSO'ed requirements, even for a kit plane. They don't have to be TSO'ed only meet the requirements. In theory you could be asked to prove it meet the requirement. This applies to any non TSO'ed light system, but doubt that would ever happen.

George

Last edited:
N941WR said:
WW2P,

I'm confused by your reply. Are you saying the strobe power supply can power the tail strobe light?

I checked with them and for $20 more they will sell you a power supply that can power two additional strobes. One for the tail light and the other is unused.

It sounds like I will go with them and will place the order soon. My only question is which tail / strobe light combination I should go with. Aircraft Spruce sells the A500A Tail Position / Strobe light for $153.95 but which do I need, the vertical or horizontal? (I suspect the horizontal.)

Back