What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Feedback from LED landing lights in New comm

ERJDriver

Well Known Member
Hello all, fresh dynon install.

Had a static feedback from I'm assuming ground when landing lights are on.

They're just cheap 2x2 flush mount LEDS.

Am I able to correct this by changing ground or am I forced to replace?

Hello all, fresh dynon install.

Had a static feedback from I'm assuming ground when landing lights are on.

They're just cheap 2x2 flush mount LEDS.

Am I able to correct this by changing ground or am I forced to replace?

The power supplies in inexpensive LED lights can be very noisy, this is well -documented with several attempts to use cheap LED landing lights. I installed some "Amazon" lights in my RV-6, the price was right, they looked fantastic, but they made the COM unusable. The "aviation" LED lights use a "quiet" power supply.

The power supplies in inexpensive LED lights can be very noisy, this is well -documented with several attempts to use cheap LED landing lights. I installed some "Amazon" lights in my RV-6, the price was right, they looked fantastic, but they made the COM unusable. The "aviation" LED lights use a "quiet" power supply.
I've also had good luck with Squadron Pros - no noise.

Fly LEDs, Squadron Pros are the gold standard. I found the Rigid brand PAR36s great for saving power and getting more light and throw than a 55W halogen and about equal 100W halogen.

I also found and posted a cheap set that make no noise- but- for power vs illumination, Fly LEDs will be hard to beat. There is no guarentee a few years later the bulb maker is still noise free in the cheap brands.

Yeah ordered chokes, we'll see what happens. If I gotta upgrade I will, but these are visible from 8 miles away and throw plenty of light for me at night.

Never had an issue with the old comm, but it was a turd narco

Glad this came up today… I just sat down to post an attaboy for FlyLEDs. I *finally* finished up the condition inspection on my RV-3 as of yesterday afternoon. It blossomed into a 2 month affair so I have a bunch of pent-up RV need!

I installed 2 4-light FlyLED fixtures when the plane was out of service for the CI and flew with the lights for the first time last night. AAAAAAAmazing! Addressing the topic of this post, I experienced ZERO noise through my 1990's Terra radio. I used 18 and 20 gauge wire for the lights with grounds run back to a central grounding point... even though the instructions say this isn't required. I also installed one of the FlyLED wigwag modules and am controlling the lights and the wigwag function from a single push on / push off switch on my stick grip. For now, I have the landing light and the taxi light wired to come on/off together. Whenever I get around to my planned G3x upgrade, I'll separate the light fixture into separate landing and taxi lights as FlyLED originally designed.

Not only are they ZERO noise, but these things are REALLY bright. I fly an Airbus for my day job and my little RV-3 doesn't lag by much in terms of runway illumination!

FlyLEDs is now making an even higher power fixture with 7 or 8 LED elements in each fixture. I can't even imagine what kind of retina-burning illumination those puppies would provide!

Flyleds lights use a linear regulator for each LED which is electrically silent. We didn't suppress the noise: we never made the noise in the first place.
Not only are they (very) bright, they have lenses that throw all of the light towards the runway and not out the sides, and they have properly sized heatsinks on them that ensure that the LEDs operate at their rated power all day every day.

Whenever you're ready to ready to buy some innovative and hassle free lights that were specifically designed for aircraft use, feel free to click the Flyleds logo below.
And bonus extra; by not putting money in Big Jeff's pocket, you're supporting the livelihood of an advertiser who in turn supports this forum!

Our Double Spot unit with the additional mounting plate is a drop in replacement for a rectangular halogen.
The Triple Spot will fit where a rectangular halogen light sits now, but you'll need to get the dremel out and widen the hole to allow room for the heatsinks. It's only four screws and you can take the bracket out of the wing and do the work on the bench.
While you're there with the dremel you can easily enlarge the hole to fit our larger lights as well, like the Quads or Seven Stars.

Which lights you choose depends on how much light you'd like: Great, Fantastic or Outrageous!

Im a nose dragger, I’ve been happy with the cheapo Amazon cube lights. The 3 will probably work jussssssst fine

Back