What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electroair ignition coil

olyolson

Well Known Member
Friend
Looking for a spare dual tower ignition coil for the older Electroair electronic ignition system. The parts are out of production and don’t seem to be available anymore. Looking around the web they seem to be hard to find. Mine are working but would like to have a spare for the future just in case. If you know where I can find one let me know. Electromotive used to sell these but no more.

Anyone order extra they might part with or change directions on your electronic ignition? Single coil or the two coil setup if you don’t want to separate them.

Please Pm me if you have some

IMG-0758.jpg

IMG-0759.jpg

Last edited:
IGN coils

I saw a thread a couple years ago on the very subject so I saved the info. That poster had a bad coil. He found a Delco D555 but claimed the prongs wouldn’t fit where they were supposed to. He then said coils found at O’Rileys auto parts
P/n 2-5192 or E51 did fit. I’ve been told that these coils were used on GM vehicles. Please post your results, I’m in the same boat. Thanks.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

These are Delco D555s, circa 1985. Hard to find any made in USA for a while now. Some bad offshore copies floating around with poor terminal fit and who knows what's inside. I would not use on an aircraft.

Found a ribbed version, genuine Delco about a year ago on Amazon, about 4 times the price. Not sure if those are still available or what the number was.

Looks just like the units Ross used on his early SDS EM-4 systems. Maybe give him a call, he might have one lying around.

Oops, he beat me to it!

IGN coil

Logged on O’Rileys auto parts site and put in 2-5192 and shows in stock.

Attachments

• IMG_8232.jpg
    IMG_8232.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 32
Ignition coils

Thanks cajunwings- I just saw them on the website. They don’t look like the OEM parts that Electromotive used to sell and they said “Made in China” on top so who knows how long they’ll last or if they’ll work right. But then again there’s a ton of stufff made there now anyway-

Coils.

Chasing this a little further. Went to my local AutoZone today and got them to cross reference the O’Rileys p/n 2-5192 and Delco D555 and both crossed to Duralast C849. The box has Made in China on it. They had one in stock for $47 so I took it home. Installed it on the ElectroAir base plate and it fits just like the 12 year old coil with the ElectroAir sticker which has Made in China embossed on the back. Bottom line is coils seem to be available. ElectroAir told me that components to make or repair the control unit are no longer available so that’s another concern.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Attachments

• IMG_8892.jpg
    IMG_8892.jpg
    457.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_8891.jpg
    IMG_8891.jpg
    470.4 KB · Views: 21
Back