What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Diesel V8

Couldn't help but notice that when the words for posterity were spoken, in typical Dick Rutan style, his mouth was pointed the other way. :rolleyes:

Hope it becomes commercial reality, but I can't get too excited. I'm hoping for about 15 years of flying before I "hang it up." For some reason, I'm thinking it may take that long to make this a commercial success. We'll see. I do wish them the best in their venture.

Interesting! It looks like they have a good solid design.(pun intended) It will be interesting to see how the internals looks when they are revealed. Hints of heavy, but the engine+fuel mission will tell the story. It is good to hear the efficiency is good as V8's can suffer from turbocharger overall efficiency due to uneven firing from each bank. A single plane crank overcomes that, but generates a hefty lateral secondary vibration. Always a tradeoff. From appearances, they are quite knowledgeable design guys, so they would certainly be aware of these challenges.

I know that one Conti would generate power at bsfc of .330#/hp-hr on av-gas, so 50% better than that is not possible. They obviously have a different baseline.

The only issue might be their dependance on FAA tests as being sufficient for engine and component validation. FAA tests are pretty weak for full engine validation.

This is rather exciting, I hope they succeed!

A couple interested bits of data ...

"350HP is 75% power"
"4.4 litre flat-vee"
"with all the stuff it needs weighs 670lbs"

Cool. i think i saw that cirrus at the last Mojave fly-in. it wasn't on public display, but i just peeked into the hangar through a small window. ;) the guys were busy working to talk but glad to see they are succeeding to do cool stuff out in the desert.

A couple interested bits of data ...

"350HP is 75% power"
"4.4 litre flat-vee"
"with all the stuff it needs weighs 670lbs"

I missed that, thanks, it must be a 179 deg Vee, (looking at the block picture) with single plane crank and fork and blade connecting rods. Good balance, bearing area and turbocharger efficiency, $$$.

OK, 179deg is a joke, but it's not what one would think as a vee configuration.

Back