What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Defrost fan grills

Swingwing

I am getting ready to install two computer fans in the glare shield for defrost. What are others doing to keep stuff from falling into the fan? I did a search but can find any pictures. I would prefer not to use surface mounted grills the stick up.

I am getting ready to install two computer fans in the glare shield for defrost. What are others doing to keep stuff from falling into the fan? I did a search but can find any pictures. I would prefer not to use surface mounted grills the stick up.

What I did was find some black nylon screen material and ran the screws for the fans through the screen to keep the screen taught. The screen is sandwiched between the glareshield and the fans.

I use metal screen with around a 1/8" grid. Bigger is better to minimize resistance. Screen door-like screen creates a lot of back pressure and greatly reduces flow. Clamp it between fan and metal.

John

3/8” holes

I drilled 6 or 8 3/8” holes in a circle. If anything falls in it isnjust going to hit the floor anyway.

But I only put a fan in front of the pilot. Wish I put one on the passenger side too. I use them to keep the G3x screens cool; it seems to really help on the hot days when the sun is shining from behind onto the screens.

I designed a larger version of the radial pattern used on the RV-14, then got a friend to machine it on his CNC mill. Sandwiched between the top skin and the fan body.

I drilled 6 or 8 3/8” holes in a circle. If anything falls in it isnjust going to hit the floor anyway.

But I only put a fan in front of the pilot. Wish I put one on the passenger side too. I use them to keep the G3x screens cool; it seems to really help on the hot days when the sun is shining from behind onto the screens.

+1
Photo is what I did for a single, smaller fan on the RV-8. On the RV-10 I used two 3.25” fans, one on each side.

Get creative on your hole pattern. The best one had a combination of 1/4” and 3/8” holes in an alternating pattern.
Carl

20210729-135426.jpg

Thank you for all the suggestions. It helped me decide what to do. I will sandwich a piece of metal mesh between a hole in the glare shield. As I sat in my office this morning, it hit me that the cheap mesh in-bin on my wall will repurpose nicely :)

Defog fan cover

I just made mine. Holes are 5/16 or 3/8”.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Attachments

• IMG_8190.jpg
    IMG_8190.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_8191.jpg
    IMG_8191.jpg
    581.3 KB · Views: 52
Carl,

What is the covered item to the right of your fan?
GPS antenna?
Covered for aesthetics? To keep it cool?

Carl,

GPS antenna?

Not that Carl, but I'm pretty sure it's covered in dark cloth to minimize its reflection in the windscreen.

Last edited:
I just made mine. Holes are 5/16 or 3/8”.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

I made a plate just like this, then bought a cheap PC fan cover made out of plastic. Put both over the fan and observed the feel of the air flow. The latter seemed to flow A LOT more air. So, I sanded the top with 400 grit to make it Flat (as in no gloss), cut a hole for the fan and installed it instead of punching holes in the dash.

Last edited:
O Brother

Help me understand the goal of this cover ... just what exactly are you trying keep out? or increase airflow? or just make it look better.

My fans are uncovered and seem to work fine, anything that falls in goes right on thru and the tech look of the fan blades is appealing.

"I like the smell of my hair treatment; the pleasing odor is half the point." - Ulysses Everett McGill.

Sorry, couldn't resist ;)

Attachments

• flight deck.jpg
    flight deck.jpg
    449.6 KB · Views: 111
Help me understand the goal of this cover ... just what exactly are you trying keep out? or increase airflow? or just make it look better.

My fans are uncovered and seem to work fine, anything that falls in goes right on thru and the tech look of the fan blades is appealing.

"I like the smell of my hair treatment; the pleasing odor is half the point." - Ulysses Everett McGill.

Sorry, couldn't resist ;)

So, does running the fan without a cover make it smell better?:D

Being serious now, I did not want something to fall in there as I assumed it would break the blades if it was spinning. Even worse would be a passenger grabbing something and getting a finger in there. That is more of a 10 thing as the dash is large and accessible therefore folks are tempted to put things on it. On the 6, the area is so small that no one puts anything on it.

Last edited:
Carl,

GPS antenna?

This is the SkyView GPS antenna/receiver. The cover is to eliminate the reflection on the windscreen.

This is where I mounted this antenna on all the builds - it has been flawless.

Side note - mounting a Garmin GPS antenna in this location goes against their install instructions and can create problems.

Carl

My fans are blacked out so no reflection, and since they're pretty small 2" fans they wouldn't do much damage to your fingers.

And ever since getting my Ensign butt chewed off by a crusty maintenance chief on day one, NOTHING goes on my glare shield except light!

Cheers

One other idea

I installed 2 fans and drilled a pattern like others but I supported the fan from below, so no screws coming through the top. The ledge that the fans sit on swings away after removing 2 screws. This allows the fans to be removed and you don’t ever have to worry about accidentally touching the acrylic windscreen with a tool or screws. Everything is done underneath.

Just a thought.

And ever since getting my Ensign butt chewed off by a crusty maintenance chief on day one, NOTHING goes on my glare shield except light!

Cheers

Yep - As I did my Naval Aviator son (he was a LT at the time) when he shoved his knee board onto the glare shield on my old RV-8A.

I reminded him I was the white hat that would have to fix the glass.

Carl

Back