What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cylinder costs?

airguy

Unrepentant fanboy
Sponsor
What the going rate on todays market for a narrow deck Lycoming cylinder for an IO540?

What the going rate on todays market for a narrow deck Lycoming cylinder for an IO540?

Aircraft Spruce recently had one made by Superior for about $1500. It’s in excess of $4000 if you buy a factory part.

Last June I bought 4 complete Cyl ass with 9:1 CR but no wrist pins for an O320 for $11,000 cdn pesos.

Tim

I purchased four Superior SL36006N-A20P cylinders ($1,365.00 each) from Aircraft Specialties on March 10, 2023. They were shipped on September 11, 2023. These are narrow deck cylinders for an O-360 and I think they are the same used for the 540.

At the time of order, the great cylinder shortage of 2023 was in full swing and I was told that it would be two weeks. Two weeks later I was told it would be two weeks. After a couple more of those, I got to the person that told me that they had no idea when they would be available. I don't know if that shortage/lead time issue is still at play but given my experience, I would plan ahead.

Last edited:
I have two new narrow deck 8.5:1 cyl, pistons, rings, wrist pins, chrome. They have no rocker arms, springs, or valves because those were used on some other cylinders. $600 each.

I have two new narrow deck 8.5:1 cyl, pistons, rings, wrist pins, chrome. They have no rocker arms, springs, or valves because those were used on some other cylinders. $600 each.
Interested in your parts. Sending a PM.

Interested in your parts. Sending a PM.
I have only shown one of the cylinders here, the other is identical. The valves and springs etc. are installed but they are not new, only installed to keep the parts together. They are serviceable however. The piston assemblies are new and complete with piston pin and pin retainers. Packaged in Lycoming cyl boxes, pickled and wrapped in sealed plastic bags. More detailed pics of the cylinder assembles prior to assembly. if you want.

Attachments

• IMG_3701.jpg
    IMG_3701.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3700.jpg
    IMG_3700.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3699.jpg
    IMG_3699.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3698.jpg
    IMG_3698.jpg