What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CS prop recommendations for O-360

FireMedic_2009

Well Known Member
I’m looking for a used CS prop recommendation for an O-360 on an RV6. The plane had prop strike on a ground loop. It had a Hartzell with F7666A blades. The seller bought a replacement prop which had the same blades and the same hub which has the 150 hr AD inspection. The Eddy Inspection costs $450 if it’s on the plane. That prop was last overhold in 2003 and has never been put on a plane so will need to be overhauled. A prop shop said that they would replace it with a new hub (non AD) and overhaul it for $7100 or use the old hub and cost $4500. I fly 100-140 hrs/yr. I know the F7666A blades have rpm restriction between 2000 - 2250 RPMs, however you are usually operating above 2300 RPMs during cruise, so I’m not sure if that restriction even is a factor. I’m not sure if anyone is really in the rpm range.

Another option would be to buy the blended airfoil through Vans, which the plane is eligible, for $10,500. I would rather go with the $7100 overhaul and save the money and use it for something else.. Not sure how much faster the blended airfoil would be compared to the older F7666A blades.

Are there any other used props, such as MaCauley, that I could use for the plane?

Thanks

Last edited:
Years ago, when the BA prop was fairly new, Randy Lervold tested it back to back with the old paddle blades on his RV-8, and it was worth 4-5 knots. At the time, the BA was a couple hundred dollars more than the old blades, making those the cheapest knots you could ever buy.

Is the BA prop the F7666A blades?

No. The F7666A blades are the so-called 'paddle blades'.

The (latest) BA prop has F7497 blades. The first BA props had F7496 blades (which I believe Randy L. tested on his RV-8, IIRC), but those have been superseded by the F7497 blades.

Hartzell props from Van's and model applicability:

Ref: https://www.vansaircraft.com/order-a-kit/hartzell-propeller-order-form/

i-bb5bbFT-M.jpg

Last edited:
Back