What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Chutes and first flights

N916K

Well Known Member
I assume many people have chutes on for their first flight. I haven't seen much said about this thought. The FAA will be by my hanger in a few weeks so it's time to start preparing for flying this plane I built.

What brands and models seem to fit well in an RV? I have a 9.

I came across this article about parachutes http://www.pia.com/silver/articlesarchive/emergen.htm

Does anyone have any other good sources of info about using emergency parachutes?

Hey, Cam.

I wear a Strong Enterprises model 311 in my RV-6 when I fly acro, formation, or am performing other 'steep manuevers'. I take out the back cushion and it pretty much replaces it. A little tight fit for the RV but at least you're wearing it...;) .

Getting out is another issue, and everyone has a differnet position, but my spin on that is if the plane is completely uncontrollable I'd rather go in trying to get out than just sitting there.

B,
dr

The guy (Allen Silver) that wrote those (first post) articles is a very knowledgable and helpful guy. I've heard him give seminars and would not hesitate to use his advice. He also does airshow work and works with airshow pilots. When I am ready to fly I am going to look him up again. He is in Northern California.

Back