What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Check out in RV9A

riobison

Well Known Member
Gents

Selling my RV4 and getting into a RV9A. After several hundred hours in the 4 and as many more hours in TW aircraft over the last 45 years, it sounds like I'm going to need a check out in the RV9A. You know, the one with the slower landing speed and with the little wheel in the front.

I'm in Red Deer Alberta and I'm wondering if there are any flight instructors qualified to check me out here in Western Canada that have time on make and model?

Or do I need to book into the USA with Mike or some one similar?

I can already see this becoming complicated.

Thanks

Tim

Get yourself a local instructor that has time on Grumman. They have same type of steering. If you have been flying the RV4 you will have no problems. The same control harmony is in the RV9a the speed are most the same except a bit slower landing, not much. Your transition time will be minimal.

RV9A check ride in Canada

I have to agree with you Norm.

But based on this that was sent to me:

The insurer will require you to complete a check flight with signoff prior to solo on the RV9A as follows: either a pilot holding an instructor rating or a qualified CPL/ATPL license holder as under.

• Tim Kennedy RV9A: Subject to a check flight on subject aircraft with a qualified Flight Instructor or a properly qualified Commercial Pilot/properly qualified Airline Transport Pilot including signoff prior to flying solo.
• A properly qualified Commercial Pilot or properly qualified Airline Transport Pilot shall mean any pilot who is the holder of a valid Commercial Pilot or Airline Transport Pilot license, having a minimum of 500 hours Total Time on fixed wing aircraft, and is current on the subject aircraft make and model.

It wasn't this rigid when I went from a Citabria to the RV4 12 years ago and they accepted my transition in a RV7. And that I had to book months out and headed to Oregon.

Tim

Back