What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Center storage console - thoughts?

MacCool

Well Known Member
I'd like a little more convenient storage space in my RV-9A, and am intrigued by the "E-Z Out Center Console" sold by Aircraft Extras. It seems to be a relatively straight-forward thing to install, adding some storage and has the added benefit of providing something to push against to ease exiting the airplane. Looks like it's installed to match existing nut-plates in the floor.

I'm interested in anyone's experience with this add-on. Have any of you put this product in? Other thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-21 at 9.07.41 AM.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-21 at 9.07.41 AM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 119
I don’t have that exact unit fitted in my -6 but the original builder had fabricated something similar and it works really well. I keep extra pair of glasses, fuel dip stick, sample cup and a few other odds and ends that would otherwise be scattered about in pockets.

I’m considering that same center console for my -14 build, but the -14 is a fairly wider than the 9. This EZ-out may work well in the 9, but I had a friend of mine that had a home-brew center console in his 9 and it made his airplane extremely uncomfortable. I guess a smaller pilot and passenger could’ve fit okay in his airplane, but I just found it very uncomfortable. I haven’t seen him in a few years, but I think he eventually took it out. Aircraft Extras may let you give it a trial fit to see if you like it before committing to it.

The photo in your post is of the -14 model. The model for the -9 is considerably more narrow. My hanger buddy owns a -9A that has a similiar center console. I have flown in his plane and found that the console does not interfere in comfort or ingress/egress when we are both in it, but we are smaller pilots. That being said, I plan to fabricate an aft facing tray for storage below the IP for maps or whatever for maximum bottom/hip room.

I have one in my 7A and really like it, primarily for its help with entering and exiting the cabin. It definitely makes things a bit more snug, but my aging body requires the additional leverage the console provides. That it is also a handy storage place for preflight and emergency items is a big plus. In flight I actually find it difficult to reach inside the console, but that is not enough of a negative for me to remove it. At some point I might consider making a less obtrusive device that gives me exit leverage without the storage. For now I am very happy with the mod.

The image of the console in a -14 was meant to be illustrative of the concept only since Aircraft Extras didn't have a picture of the thing installed in a 7/9, nor could I find one on the internet. I'm presuming that the one they sell for my plane is specifically designed differently, but I'm hoping that I could get an in-use report from someone who's been there and done that in an RV-9 or 7.

I appreciate the input...I think next step is to give Aircraft Extras a call and see if I can get additional info.

I have one

I installed one in my 9A. It is quite handy for the wife getting in and out of the airplane. She has had a hip and shoulder replacement, which would make ingress / egress without this difficult.
Though I'm still fit, I use it for leveraging myself in/out.
The comment about "some difficulty" accessing the interior during flight is valid. But I don't need to do that too often as I have everything I need out of it before start-up.
My use is more for storage of things after landing & shut-down.
IF you are planning on doing some under the instrument panel work after its installed, be prepared to do a bit of contortion getting your body around it. I've done it often enough it is no longer a problem, it has become "natural" forming my body around it and the stick to access either side of the panel's backside.
I also have my O2D2 unit attached to the front of it down by the seat cushion. That location - for me - is convenient for plugging in and turning on oxygen when I need it.
All-in-all, I won't be taking it out for any reason other than needing access to the Flap Actuator Motor.

Easy exit

I notice folks like it for ingress and egress. If you don’t have the antisplat easy exit bar in your “canadian” model 6, 7, 9 you should. It is a HUGE help in ingress and egress. I can’t speak for Alan but my dealings with him indicate he will take it back if you don’t like it. He is just that kind of guy. Don’t worry you will like it.

Merry Christmas to all.

I notice folks like it for ingress and egress. If you don’t have the antisplat easy exit bar in your “canadian” model 6, 7, 9 you should. It is a HUGE help in ingress and egress. I can’t speak for Alan but my dealings with him indicate he will take it back if you don’t like it. He is just that kind of guy. Don’t worry you will like it.

Merry Christmas to all.

Thanks for the Christmas wishes!

Yeah...my airplane was pretty much festooned with Anti-Splat mods by the previous owner, but inexplicably he skipped the Easy Exit Bar. It was literally the first thing that I added as soon as I got that plane into my hands a few years ago. The RV-9A demo ride I took here before entering the market had one, so I was pre-sold on it.

I installed one in my 9A. It is quite handy for the wife getting in and out of the airplane. She has had a hip and shoulder replacement, which would make ingress / egress without this difficult.
Though I'm still fit, I use it for leveraging myself in/out.
The comment about "some difficulty" accessing the interior during flight is valid. But I don't need to do that too often as I have everything I need out of it before start-up.
My use is more for storage of things after landing & shut-down.
IF you are planning on doing some under the instrument panel work after its installed, be prepared to do a bit of contortion getting your body around it. I've done it often enough it is no longer a problem, it has become "natural" forming my body around it and the stick to access either side of the panel's backside.
I also have my O2D2 unit attached to the front of it down by the seat cushion. That location - for me - is convenient for plugging in and turning on oxygen when I need it.
All-in-all, I won't be taking it out for any reason other than needing access to the Flap Actuator Motor.

Good PIREP, thanks. I think I'll go for it.

Back