What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Support Strut Plans? Size?

dmat

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Hi, I am looking to convert a not adjustable support on a rv4 to the hydraulic support strut.

1) Does anyone have a write up on how to install/buster up the canopy section where it's installed?
2) what size strut is being used?

Thanks,
D

RV-4 Canopy strut

Hi, I am looking to convert a not adjustable support on a rv4 to the hydraulic support strut. 1) Does anyone have a write up on how to install/buster up the canopy section where it's installed? 2) what size strut is being used? Thanks, D

Hey, D

I think there has been discussions about this before but here is what I came up with. I had a friend next door who was a mechanic for an airline and, when I asked if he had access to anything I could use for this, came home with some cylinders that had been replaced....on a Boeing 737 cabin baggage compartment door! :p I'm pretty sure you could find something similar on a strut vendor site. Mine is a one-way strut, slowing the movement open. That has been poopooed as not being what you want as the canopy could slam shut. Has never happened. When I am around the airplane, the canopy is open (for example a fly-in and people want to look in); when I am not around the airplane, it is closed. Start up: I have the canopy set up to be partially open.

This is my installation which has worked well for decades without problems.
Cylinder is approximately 6 5/8 inches open and 4 5/8 inches closed with a throw of about 1 3/4 to 2 inches. The reinforcement on the canopy has held up well without signs of fatigue or cracking. The angle at the base is bolted to the same stringer that the roll-over structure is bolted.

Hope this helps. Search this topic as well for other ideas....there are those that don't care for the strut. Fine with me.....:p

Attachments

• IMG_5654.jpg
    IMG_5654.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5655.jpg
    IMG_5655.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5657.jpg
    IMG_5657.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5659.jpg
    IMG_5659.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 35
Mine also a B737 bin snubber

I work in airline industry , and mine is also a liberated Boeing 737 bag bin snubber. No real lifting quality, more of a snubber to slow a dropped close and be a hold open rod.

Back