What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Camera shuts down

Marc DeGirolamo

Well Known Member
I have a Canon HG10 video camera. It is a great camera so I thought I would make a mount to put on my roll bar and shoot video. Camera sits there great but shuts off after only a few minutes of flight....Turns out that the camera uses a hard drive to store data and senses vibration or something and shuts itself down... If I handhold it works fine......Does anyone else use this camera and is there a fix other than another camera...ie one which does not send data to hard drive ??

Shut Down

I have a Canon HG10 video camera. It is a great camera so I thought I would make a mount to put on my roll bar and shoot video. Camera sits there great but shuts off after only a few minutes of flight....Turns out that the camera uses a hard drive to store data and senses vibration or something and shuts itself down... If I handhold it works fine......Does anyone else use this camera and is there a fix other than another camera...ie one which does not send data to hard drive ??

Marc:

I have the HV-10 which uses the Digital Video Tape in High Def. It has been working great.

Hard drives seldom work well in aircraft due to vibration and sometimes even higher altitudes.

Marc,
I had this same problem when we tried to put a camera on a race car. I think any camera is going to ahve problems. I know they have vibration isolated mounts for racecars. Funny how good humans are at absorbing vibrations. I would suggest you look at the nascar setups. Good luck and let us know what you find out.
Johny stick
RV10 wanna be

camera that won't work in airplane

I believe that I am going to have to get a different camera :(...one that does not have a hard drive...or just handhold it all the time (not reallly an option when flying the airplane). I am going to try different types of isolators and see if anything will work....I have tried different rubber but thus far nothing seems to help.....I'll post any positive results.

Yeah

For that reason I copied Groucho's setup and bought Cannon HV20 which uses the mini DV tape...Works perfect.

I bolt this down hard between the seats and use the wide angled security camera as a remote input.

You could in theory isolate the camcorder in foam and then use a remote input (if that cam will accept an analogue input). If you isolate it I'm not sure it won't shake too much to get non jerky video.

Search on Groucho to see the wide angled cam..Works great for in cockpit stuff see www.youtube.com/user/frankandmarci but does not work well for shooting outside action through the canopy.

For less than $100 it might be a better option than a new cam.

Frank

new Cam

Looks like my best (simplest) option is going to be buying a different camera.........:eek:
thanks for taking an interest guys...

I can

Heartily recommend the HV20 and the best price I could find was US camera..I heard some horror stories about them but I got mine just fine.

Have also heard great things about the HV10

Frank

New model

Canon has a new camcorder, the Vixia HFS10. It's full high-definition, ~8.5mp, 32GB of flash memory, and a bunch of other stuff, so you shouldn't get that shutdown problem.

Soon as my financial controller lets me, I'm gettin me one!

Remember

That most cameras do not allow an analogue input..That means if you want a remote camera (such as the wide angled thingy or just to get the mass down to avoid camera shake) you won't be able to unless it has an analogue input.

I say this cus most manufacturer's are going awy from remote analogue inputs.

Check the specs if you think you might need one.

Frank

Canon FS20..works great but need new software now..

thought I should send an update....I sold my HG10 and bought a Canon FS20. this camera has built in memory and an SD card. I have used it a few times and it works like a dream....the only thing is I wish I had the remote the other camera had to turn recording off/on, but nothing a little contorsioning in my seat wont fix.
Now though I need to find a good software program to make DVD's.... I bought Adobe Premiere Elements 8 ,but it just did not work well....so I returned it for refund and bought Roxio which is OK but does not do all I would like......any recommendations..?

Try this one.

Ulead Video Studio works well for me. I use it to edit short videos for online training at work. Easy to use and cheeep.
YMMV

The answer to the initial question

Since I didn't see the answer to the original question:

Camera's with a hard drive usually have a drop sensor. This drop sensor is activated in flight due to g-force differences (I have a Sony that showed the same problem). In my Sony I have the option to turn off the drop sensor. Your camera may have the same option (at your own risk!). When I turned mine off, the results were better, but still not great.

Solid state camera's (in whatever form) are better. Check out the GoPro HD.

Best regards,
Arjan Plomp
N83SE

Ulead software

Ulead Video Studio works well for me. I use it to edit short videos for online training at work. Easy to use and cheeep.
YMMV
Carlrai
Can you cut pieces out of the film clip with Ulead...? what I have now I can only edit from either end of the clip which is not always what want to do....

Canon HG10

Since I didn't see the answer to the original question:

Camera's with a hard drive usually have a drop sensor. This drop sensor is
N83SE
Arjan... I could not shut off the sensor on that camera so bought a FS20 which seems to work just fine..... Had I known about the quirkiness of the hard drive would not have purchased it....live and learn the hard way :eek:

Camera shut down

Hello,

You will find almost every Hard Drive based camcorder is going to shut down with just a little vibration. They actually have a drop sensor inside that gets falsely triggered and shuts them down prematurely to save the write head when you drop the camera.

Try another camcorder, but finding one that supports analog A/V in is going to be tricky, which eliminates the ability to use remote lenses outside the plane.

If you want to get serious about on-board video, you can certainly check out the advanced systems that we offer:

http://www.flightcam360.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=76&Itemid=300284

If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask.....we've been doing this for years!

Thanks,

Tim
MotoCam 360
425-533-8606

hard drive

I tried the sony with a duo pro memory stick as the selected media and it worked fine. Wish it had a remote mic jack. If I had it to do over I would not have bought the Sony.

Chris M

Mic/headphone plug into audio-in

I tried the sony with a duo pro memory stick as the selected media and it worked fine. Wish it had a remote mic jack. If I had it to do over I would not have bought the Sony.

Chris.... Mine has the remote audio mic input and seems to work OK, except for a slight squeal (not sure what that is, could be alternator noise)...... I have it plugged in the the mic jack but have read/seen that guys have it come off of the headphone jack.....??

Back