What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bench grinder and belt sander combo

bertschb

Well Known Member
Friend
Harbor Freight has a bench grinder and belt sander combo. I'm thinking about getting this rather than individual tools. Would this work or do I need access to both wheels on the grinder? I don't want to be swapping wheels all the time.

Thoughts??

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-24 at 6.18.04 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-24 at 6.18.04 PM.png
    898.7 KB · Views: 29
Harbor Freight has a bench grinder and belt sander combo. I'm thinking about getting this rather than individual tools. Would this work or do I need access to both wheels on the grinder? I don't want to be swapping wheels all the time.

Thoughts??

I run a grinder wheel on one side and a deburring wheel on the other side of my grinder. A good size disc sander is a very handy tool for shaping stuff.

Ed

I think the below pictured tool would be more useful, I used a similar one during early construction until it wore out. I've never needed an actual grinding wheel to build the RV and they are only suited to grinding steel and not aluminum.
If you want a scotch brite wheel on a buffing machine then it should be mounted on a pedestal for best access.

Attachments

• 58339_W3.jpg
    58339_W3.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 24
I use the grinding stone on my bench grinder all the time. Usually it's for modifying tools or all the non-airplane stuff that's needed around the house too. Yes, steel only.

That said, a sander/bench grinder combo could be useful provided the grinding stone is replaced with a deburring wheel.

Bench tools

I use the grinding stone on my bench grinder all the time. Usually it's for modifying tools or all the non-airplane stuff that's needed around the house too. Yes, steel only.

That said, a sander/bench grinder combo could be useful provided the grinding stone is replaced with a deburring wheel.

I have both bench mounted and use both. I prefer the sanding disk for roughing the part to the line then the scotchbrite wheel to make it purdy. Opposite side of the grinder changes as work requires. Usually it has a polishing wheel to protect against inadvertent damage. I made one of the cardboard wheels recently too. It's actually a good safety wheel. Hitting it does almost nothing.

I have a bench grinder with the Scotchbrite on one side and fine grinding wheel on the other side. No guards either. I use both a lot. sharpening tools buffing aluminum etc.
A few feet away I have an upright 2"x24" belt/disc sander that I use more than any other grinder.
I do not like the disc sander and don't use it much if at all.
I 've been a contractor/mechanic/mill wright for much of my 72 years on this earth. So I actually have lots of tools.
But, for building an RV-6 airplane (my first started in 1991) I used the vertical belt sander and grinder a lot.
I personally do not want to be remounting a grinding wheel/Scotchbrite any time I want to do something.
You need separate tools.
Just like a good bandsaw that I wouldn't do with out.
My luck varies Art

Back