What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Basic Panel Installation Question

DrWalker

Really enjoy the variety of amazing panels in this forum, but I'm stuck with the basics of how to attach the panel to the fuselage.

In the fuselage install manual and on drawings #27, it shows a 3/4" angle piece flat face against the front of the panel slightly above where the panel bends forward at the bottom. Side rails F-416 went on without difficulty and I see that the panel sits directly in front of the rails. However, the cutouts on each side seems to remove the portion of the panel that would attach to the 3/4" angle installed at the end of F-416. The plans show the bottom of the panel an inch or so lower than 3/4" angle which is on the opposite side of the panel.

My initial read of the plans was to install the 3/4' angle across the entire panel and attach it to that, but that's doesn't look like all the panels I've seen and interferes with what little panel space is available and looks terrible (although it would be strong!) The overall width of the panel does not allow it to slide downward into the fuselage, but at it's lowest position the cutouts are adjacent to the 3/4" angle pieces that will be encased in the ends of F-416 and therefore does not provide material to attach it.

Since the instrument panel is the mounting for the F-421 upper fuselage cover and the canopy rests on this same arch, it clearly needs to have some ability to carry a load. What holds it up and how is attached? What is the distance from the longeron/F-416 side rails up to the top of the instrument panel?

Attachments

• panel.jpg
    panel.jpg
    552.7 KB · Views: 61
  • panel-1.jpg
    panel-1.jpg
    652.7 KB · Views: 60
  • panel-2.jpg
    panel-2.jpg
    780.2 KB · Views: 59
Attached a picture which I hope is self explanatory... a piece of angle each side of the panel, riveted to the flange with 2x AN426-3 rivets. The panel itself is attached to the forward portion of the angle by 2ea AN-3 bolts right and left side of the panel.
The panel in itself is, thanks to its bent edge, rigidly ok... kind of... until the top skin is screwed on that is.

As to the dims, it's been a long time, but I recall working that out by measuring the angle off the plans. I'm sure others here have their airplane at hand for measurement.

IMG_6454.jpeg

Really enjoy the variety of amazing panels in this forum, but I'm stuck with the basics of how to attach the panel to the fuselage.

In the fuselage install manual and on drawings #27, it shows a 3/4" angle piece flat face against the front of the panel slightly above where the panel bends forward at the bottom. Side rails F-416 went on without difficulty and I see that the panel sits directly in front of the rails. However, the cutouts on each side seems to remove the portion of the panel that would attach to the 3/4" angle installed at the end of F-416. The plans show the bottom of the panel an inch or so lower than 3/4" angle which is on the opposite side of the panel.

My initial read of the plans was to install the 3/4' angle across the entire panel and attach it to that, but that's doesn't look like all the panels I've seen and interferes with what little panel space is available and looks terrible (although it would be strong!) The overall width of the panel does not allow it to slide downward into the fuselage, but at it's lowest position the cutouts are adjacent to the 3/4" angle pieces that will be encased in the ends of F-416 and therefore does not provide material to attach it.

Since the instrument panel is the mounting for the F-421 upper fuselage cover and the canopy rests on this same arch, it clearly needs to have some ability to carry a load. What holds it up and how is attached? What is the distance from the longeron/F-416 side rails up to the top of the instrument panel?

My panel is in and out right now as I am at that point.I can take some photos shortly.

As to the "carrying the load", I would venture to say that the load of the canopy is actually carried by the longerons on the sides, The canopy does get locked into the panel at the front, but would that not be a negative load? keeping it from opening in flight? Or neutral....

My thread has some panel photos in it. I will take one of the cutouts.

Attachments

• 20240221_124633.jpg
    20240221_124633.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:
would that not be a negative load? keeping it from opening in flight? Or neutral
probably all correct :)
Friend of mine (as many others did, and will do...) took of with a partly locked canopy... once airborne it open violently and slammed on the top of the right wing, staying attached. Luckily this guy, despite having lost his glasses and headset (same for the GF in the back), kept his cool and managed a safe return to the 1200ft runway.
So yes, the canopy definitely exercise some down pressure on the left side of the panel when locked on the ground, but upwards in flight.

As to the panel's weight, it will rest on the its attachments taking the weight as long as the forward top skin ain't screwed on. Today's panels are way lighter than they used to, I remember my 6 packs (vacuum stuff) complete panel weighing... a lot ;)

Attachments

• 294.jpg
    294.jpg
    678.6 KB · Views: 21
Here is a variation as to what to do with the top arched angle along the top. Small picture; lots of information.....

The instrument panel is pretty flimsy with the forward panel removed but is VERY well fixed into place once that panel is on. The canopy being held down by the panel sounds like it isn't that strong; it IS! The entire top of the forward part of the fuselage would have to depart company with the airplane to lose the canopy.....unless, of course, you don't close it in the first place!! 😲 😲 😲 #1 call out on my end-of-runup check list. CANOPY: DOWN AND LOCKED; SEAT BELTS: LOCKED; BOOST PUMP: ON; FLAPS: SET 20 DEGREES.....

Attachments

• IMG_5074.jpg
    IMG_5074.jpg
    685.2 KB · Views: 40
on mine i mounted a cherry switch that is closed when the forward lock rod is in its fully extended position. originally it activated a red led on the panel when it was not fully engaged. it now feeds an input to the dynon which has a red indicator on the screen when it is not locked and green when it is locked.

My panel is in and out right now as I am at that point.I can take some photos shortly.

As to the "carrying the load", I would venture to say that the load of the canopy is actually carried by the longerons on the sides, The canopy does get locked into the panel at the front, but would that not be a negative load? keeping it from opening in flight? Or neutral....

My thread has some panel photos in it. I will take one of the cutouts.
This one picture helps a great deal. Looks like I need to trim slightly so that the instrument panel drops further down, which will all the panel surface to mate with the 3/4” angle piece . Thanks for taking time to reply.

Curious if I should wait to drill the two holes per side until I fit the forward fuselage upper panel. Also, will variations in overall height affect canopy fit, etc.

Thanks again,

Curious if I should wait to drill the two holes per side until I fit the forward fuselage upper panel. Also, will variations in overall height affect canopy fit, etc.

Thanks again,
Sorry I cannot answer this. I made a new panel from the old one, using it as a template. But since the canopy sits on the top of the panel, I would think it very much affects the canopy fit. But I did not build and am not familiar with that process,

on mine i mounted a cherry switch that is closed when the forward lock rod is in its fully extended position. originally it activated a red led on the panel when it was not fully engaged. it now feeds an input to the dynon which has a red indicator on the screen when it is not locked and green when it is locked.
That is similar to what I did. If you look at the photograph in post #5, you can see the microswitch that is closed when the canopy is open (red CANOPY light on) and open when the canopy is closed (light is off). It is a large half inch light that is difficult to ignore! The canopy rod is in the open for TAXI position in post #5; the microswitch activator arm is forward of the lower hole.

Attachments

• img704acC.jpg
    img704acC.jpg
    451.5 KB · Views: 20
Here is a variation as to what to do with the top arched angle along the top. Small picture; lots of information.....

The instrument panel is pretty flimsy with the forward panel removed but is VERY well fixed into place once that panel is on. The canopy being held down by the panel sounds like it isn't that strong; it IS! The entire top of the forward part of the fuselage would have to depart company with the airplane to lose the canopy.....unless, of course, you don't close it in the first place!! 😲 😲 😲 #1 call out on my end-of-runup check list. CANOPY: DOWN AND LOCKED; SEAT BELTS: LOCKED; BOOST PUMP: ON; FLAPS: SET 20 DEGREES.....
With respect to the bracket, lower right in the picture. Is that a mounting bracket? If so, how did you fabricate it.

Due the area cutout by a previous builder I am not going to be able to attach it per the install manual.

This is a photo of the exact location as your photo.

Attachments

• IMG_3941.jpeg
    IMG_3941.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
While I am on the instrument panel, the plans show a definite tilt forward. Yet all pictures I see of finished panels are perpendicular.
Did I miss a correction?

Attachments

• IMG_3942.jpeg
    IMG_3942.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
While I am on the instrument panel, the plans show a definite tilt forward. Yet all pictures I see of finished panels are perpendicular.
Did I miss a correction?
I think the pictures make it look like the panels are perpendicular. I measured mine and there is about an 8 degree forward tilt. Like the plans show.

With respect to the bracket, lower right in the picture. Is that a mounting bracket? If so, how did you fabricate it.

Due the area cutout by a previous builder I am not going to be able to attach it per the install manual.

This is a photo of the exact location as your photo.
OK: the bracket you see is just a mounting plate for the microswitch that is held in place by the same bolts that hold the nylon block that the canopy lockdown rod goes through. I'm going to have to go look at my panel (nice that my forward skin is not attached!) and compare it to your cut-out panel. There is supposed to be a cut out there but I don't remember it looking like yours. But it's been a few years.....😉 I'll go look at it tomorrow. Comparing your picture to mine I can't quite tell what is going on with yours....

We will get this right.....😊

Well, rats! May the fleas of a thousand camels infect the original builders tent! :(🤬

Go to page 20 of the plans. That is the full-scale page that shows what the corner cutout for the panel bulkhead is SUPPOSED to look like. (What was he THINKING??) I think the only way to correct this error is to either 1) fashion a 'patch' to fill in the missing area of the panel or 2) buy a new panel and start over. 😠 The quickest way would be to form a patch to put in the corners (I assume both sides are screwed....I mean look the same...) to fill it in to the original plan design. SO: no on option #1, yes on option #2, IMHO. You can cut the patch out to match the plans before you flush rivet it on. This area is kind of tucked away under the supporting F-416 as seen in detail "C" in drawing 27 sp might not even show. Go look again the picture in post #9 of the port lower corner of my instrument panel. That is where this area is. Remembering that the supporting 6061-T6 'L' bracket (that rivets to F 416) is also riveted to the panel about where your new patch would be and that needs to be considered both in where your flush rivets are going to go and how it is riveted or bolted to the L bracket. In other words, the patch has to be made to avoid interfering with the supporting 6061-T6 L bracket from F-416. Does that make sense? 😵‍💫

Back