What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anti-Splat Oil Heater Location

papamike

Well Known Member
I'm getting ready to install the oil heater now that spring is here...:)
Has anyone installed the heater horizontally? I have the superior cold air sump. Quick drain on the left side. The right side drain would put the heater pretty close to the exhaust.
I’m wondering about putting the heater in the plug just above the quick drain. It should always be submerged...

Thanks

IMG_1867.jpg

I have a standard sump in my 540 and I had no choice but to install it close to the exhaust.
the heater gets so hot when it’s plugged in that I doubt the radiant heat from the exhaust will make it too hot. Seriously: It gets shockingly hot.
In your pix the quick drain looks like it needs protection. I would be concerned about the oring in the quick drain cooking.
I’ve only flown a couple of times since the install and will be pulling the cowl after a couple more flights to inspect the heater and chord.
Perhaps Allen will chime in, but the the heater and chord look robust enough to handle being within an inch or 2 of the exhaust.

Thanks. I did hear from Allen today. I’ll put it on the bottom near the exhaust. He wasn’t concerned about it either. The materials for the wiring withstand high temps.
No rush because I’m waiting on a replacement alternator. A story for another day…

Thanks. I did hear from Allen today. I’ll put it on the bottom near the exhaust. He wasn’t concerned about it either. The materials for the wiring withstand high temps.
No rush because I’m waiting on a replacement alternator. A story for another day…
Why did you decide not to use the side plug? That is the location I installed mine (untested yet)
As low as it is it would always be submerged.

Why did you decide not to use the side plug? That is the location I installed mine (untested yet)
As low as it is it would always be submerged.
I chose the bottom location to ensure that the heater would always be submerged. I understand that it should be submerged in the side position, but a further step of caution...

I'm getting ready to install the oil heater now that spring is here...:)
Has anyone installed the heater horizontally? I have the superior cold air sump. Quick drain on the left side. The right side drain would put the heater pretty close to the exhaust.
I’m wondering about putting the heater in the plug just above the quick drain. It should always be submerged...

Thanks

View attachment 59252
I'd make a heat shield for that area, for the Quickdrain (O rings), and the heater. Very easy to make.

Attachments

• Image 2.jpeg
    Image 2.jpeg
    47.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Image.jpeg
    Image.jpeg
    56 KB · Views: 9
Back