What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

An alternate 180 and 200 HP engine for RV's?

ao.frog

Well Known Member
I came across this site today. It looks like they have two engines suitable for RV's: 180 and 200 HP.
108 kg engine weight is pretty good.
It says on the site that max RPM is 3200. I thought that max RPM for the traditional props where 2700? no? In that case, maybe they have another prop in their sleeve..
In any case; it'll be interesting to see how they are doing in the time to come.

It says on their site that FF kit is "under development" for RV-12 and RV-8...

Does anyone know more about these engines? For example how many are flying and for how long?

http://www.ulpower.net/

Looks like they are at S&F with their 200 HP engine...

Last edited:
Does anyone know more about these engines? .

I had a short flight in a SuperSTOL XL with the 180 HP engine last week, and it performed well. I have also flown the 100 HP model in a Zenith (a couple of years ago) - a very nice engine that I hope does well.

I poked around a bit inside a dismantled 4 cyl model at the show (very interesting!) and flew the same Super STOL as Paul. I think the six has a lot of potential for an RV installation. Verrry smooth...felt and sounded like the old O-300 Continental 6-cylinder. I liked it. Much more later, in Kitplanes.

UL engine

Wow. That's quite a change and auto gas too.
How it will compare in cost to an equivalent Lyc?
Do I read the specs correctly? 6 cylinder 200 hp engine weighs almost 100 lbs less than the equivalent Lyc 180 hp variant with exhaust.
Does it have a hollow crank version for constant speed?
Is it physically so different as to require a totally different cowl?
What about prop? Can it spin a Hartzel CS prop or will it require a special prop?
Tail Draggers will have even more CG issues to offset 100 lbs off the nose.
Exciting.

I have flown a Jabiru 3300, with 120 hp at about the same 3,300 rpm, and it pulled very well. It surprised me how well that high rpm worked.

Dave

Back