What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Air filter for paint/priming

eklynx

I'm New Here
I'm going to (finally) start priming and i'm looking to set up at least a basic air filter setup to capture overspray. I'm pretty much looking to get a 12x12 filter to put before a box fan blowing out of the enclosure. My main question is what filter should i put there? Is a standard house-type filter good for capturing paint? if so, what MERV/FPR/MPR rating is sufficient? if not, what should i be looking for?

Overspray

I'm going to (finally) start priming and i'm looking to set up at least a basic air filter setup to capture overspray. I'm pretty much looking to get a 12x12 filter to put before a box fan blowing out of the enclosure. My main question is what filter should i put there? Is a standard house-type filter good for capturing paint? if so, what MERV/FPR/MPR rating is sufficient? if not, what should i be looking for?

I'm probably gonna ruffle some feathers but my first question is why? Maybe the HOA?
I primed in my barn or right out side 90% of the time. Lots of over spray but it's a barn. I live in the mountains. Neighbors are too far to care and no HOA. In extreme cold, I did paint in the shop with a makeshift booth exhausted through a bilge blower to a dryer port on the wall. Way below freezing. I tried a 12x24 home AC filter and it clogged up too fast. I just ran the blower with no filter.
No idea what filter would work. Not much help I guess.

A 12x12 house type (corrugated paper?) filter will clog in no time. Use a thick open weave type filter - google spray booth filters. 12x12 might not be large enough... Also consider an explosion proof fan if using solvent based paint.

I used a piece of thick polyester wadding from the fabric store as the filter, mainly to keep the extractor fan blades clean. The duct to the extractor fan is 12" and it connects to a flange on a wooden frame 2' x 2' that carries the wadding. The wadding picks up a lot of overspray and is easy and cheap to replace when it looks dirty enough.

Attachments

• 20220217_162538.jpg
    20220217_162538.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220217_174131.jpg
    20220217_174131.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
When I painted the RV-6, I had three 20" box fans exhausting the garage. I taped 1" thick filters on the front side of each fan and those filters caught a fair amount of paint. I never noticed any overspray outside on the driveway or car(s).

I primed most things open-air in the back yard, knowing that the finish on primed parts isn't as critical.

Overspray

Primarily i want to be environmentally conscious in my build, so i'm taking steps like that when all possible. Secondly, yes, HOA.

Makes sense. Try the blue air filters. The white allergen filters clog up really fast. Interrupted my session because the booth became a fog. Then disposal of the filters is haz mat.

You also try to find some pre filter material. Your local auto paint store might be able to hook you up. The stuff that I used to buy came on a roll and I would place a piece over the main filter on bigger sprays. Usually I would change the pre filter before each coat of paint.

Back