What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADAHRS bracket mounting

AlphaCharlieBravo

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I'm mounting my Vans ADAHRS bracket where it was designed to go for a SV-ADAHRS -200. Question I have is do I just mount it up to the little tabs on the sides flush to the rib and stringer or do I need to level the plane in flying attitude and level it to that?

For those that have mounted this bracket did you just push it to the tabs on the bracket , clamp and drill?

Thanks
Arnie

I'm mounting my Vans ADAHRS bracket where it was designed to go for a SV-ADAHRS -200. Question I have is do I just mount it up to the little tabs on the sides flush to the rib and stringer or do I need to level the plane in flying attitude and level it to that?

For those that have mounted this bracket did you just push it to the tabs on the bracket , clamp and drill?

Thanks
Arnie
I just installed one in my 9A and I just pushed it until the tabs touched and it seems level. I believe that's what the tabs are designed for.

The OP does not state what aircraft model the ADAHRS is being installed in but in any case the Skyview installation manual provides the following guidance:

An SV-ADAHRS-200/201 should be mounted within one degree of parallel to all three aircraft axes, with the pneumatic fittings facing toward the front of the aircraft.
To ensure that the Slip/Skid Ball will be displayed as centered during flight, the SV-ADAHRS-200/201 must be installed to 0° (absolute level). There is no adjustment in SkyView to electronically level the SV-ADAHRS-200/201. If, after installation, the Slip/Skid Ball is not centered, you will need to shim the SV-ADAHRS-200/201 to be 0° (absolute level). During installation, it may be necessary to use an electronic level as a “spirit” or “bubble” level may not be able to display an accurate enough degree of level.

The OP does not state what aircraft model the ADAHRS is being installed in but in any case the Skyview installation manual provides the following guidance:
Hey Paul

Thanks for that. I read all that earlier as well. The question was really if the tabs on the mount designed by VANs for the ADAHRS put the ADAHRS in the correct plane. I am getting the fuselage all leveled up tonight and will crawl back inside and see how accurate the bracket is before I drill holes.
My model is listed in my signature. Appreciate it.

A

Hey Paul

Thanks for that. I read all that earlier as well. The question was really if the tabs on the mount designed by VANs for the ADAHRS put the ADAHRS in the correct plane. I am getting the fuselage all leveled up tonight and will crawl back inside and see how accurate the bracket is before I drill holes.
My model is listed in my signature. Appreciate it.

A
Hi Arnie

Ah OK I didn't notice the signature with the model, apologies.
The bracket should place the ADAHRS in the correct position but it is worth double checking just in case minor shimming or adjustment is required.

When I put that bracket in my already-completed RV-9A, my recollection is that the fit was straightforward and readily apparent. It was exactly as depicted in the Van's instructions for it. The installation was greatly facilitated by a right-angle drill, at least in a completed airplane. Yes, clamp and drill. The bracket only goes in one way...no need to level the airplane.

IMG_8503.jpegIMG_1441.jpeg

Last edited:
I asked Advanced Flight how critical the 1 degree leveling is. They told me no need not to measure with a digital level. The bracket usually is fine as is.

FWIW, I installed the bracket during construction and it was therefore easy to level the fuselage. I clamped the bracket in position on all three sides and checked it for level before drilling. If the installation is in a completed aircraft then it is a little bit more effort to level it. In general, I always double check parts for fit before drilling or cutting, because there can sometimes be tolerance errors.

When I installed the ADAHRS and fired up the Skyview display with the plane leveled the skid ball was in the correct position. If it isn't then shim washers can be used under the ADAHRS. There is a little bit of slop in the mounting holes for the fore-aft alignment and I tightened the screws to hold the ADAHRS parallel to the bracket.

Wanted to complete the circle.
I leveled up the plane in both axis, pushed the bracket to the factory tabs and it leveled to within .1 degrees. Crawling back in to rivet it in.
Thanks all for everyones input.

Note for anyone reading this in the future. I would suggest putting this bracket in before the top skin is on.
Thanks again

A

FWIW, I installed the bracket during construction and it was therefore easy to level the fuselage. I clamped the bracket in position on all three sides and checked it for level before drilling. If the installation is in a completed aircraft then it is a little bit more effort to level it. In general, I always double check parts for fit before drilling or cutting, because there can sometimes be tolerance errors.

When I installed the ADAHRS and fired up the Skyview display with the plane leveled the skid ball was in the correct position. If it isn't then shim washers can be used under the ADAHRS. There is a little bit of slop in the mounting holes for the fore-aft alignment and I tightened the screws to hold the ADAHRS parallel to the bracket.
Installing the bracket after construction was only mildly uncomfortable from a body positioning standpoint. I cut some plywood and put it down aft of the baggage bulkhead which gave me a place to sit and scootch far enough back toward the tail to do the drilling and riveting. It was no big deal, but uncomfortable enough I didnt want to spend a lot of unnecessary effort on shimming and leveling the thing that concept was confirmed by Rob Hickman over the phone. I didn't even check the leveling, only that the ADAHRS was functioning normally after calibrating it on the compass rose. Only issue I had with the installation was calibrating the magnetometer. Another call to Rob made me aware that it wouldn't be possible to calibrate it if the canopy (slider) was open 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
Consider waiting on this till your canopy is on (slider). It is difficult to get to some screws with the bracket installed.

Back