Wishing you and yours a happy, safe and RV-filled weekend.
v/r,dr

VAF POSTS & RV NEWS THAT CAUGHT MY EYE:
---------------------------------------

Facet Pump Alternate ...Tony Kirk
Facet quit making the 40108 pump.
You can use the following parts to convert a 40135 NPT port pump into an AN6 style pump.
ES 40135 4.5-6 PSI 1/8" NPT Fuel Pump from Van's Store
AN816-6-2D 1/8" NPT to AN6 Straight Fitting from Van's Store
AN823-6-2D 1/8" NPT to AN6 45 degree Fitting currently not available from Van's - Google search to find one.
Here is how it goes together.
VAFDR_ 136 Jan. 26.jpg

Introducing THE VAF LIST
Some of the old site in a new form. Link to it lives in the Menu under 'Links'.

Show Us Your RV-4 Panel ...gacnik123 entry
VAFDR_ 133 Jan. 26.jpg

Borescope Update ...DanH
And now, the rest of the story....
Tip 'o the hat to those who suggested auxiliary lighting. Lots of LED options these days. Turns out there is a type called COB light strip, in this case USB powered. Easily slips through a 1/4" hole.
VAFDR_ 134 Jan. 26.jpg

New Tires, Tubes and Rotors for my Cleveland 500x5 wheels
(Chris Pratt)
It was time for new tubes, tires and this time for rotors as well. I’ve been using Michelin AirStop tubes and Condor tires since my first flight almost 20 years ago. I ordered them in early October 2023 after hearing they were on backorder. True. I was told (by Aircraft Spruce) to expect them in November sometime. That month came and went and so I called to check and they said it will be about another 200 days before they come in. Yikes :oops:, talk about supply chain issues. So, I ordered a different brand which arrived the next day and, of course, I received an email that same afternoon saying my AirStops had arrived and were being shipped :rolleyes:. So okay, return the others and await the delivery. That was back in mid-December. Finally had time today to do the installation.
VAFDR_ 125 Jan. 25.jpg

Wild Rivit...wirejock
I was finishing up the details on the empennage fairing today. Installing nutplates, drilling rivets, tapping holes and filling unused holes. I was feeling around and looking to make sure the rivet holes I picked wouldn't cause a problem with some other structure inside. While touching shop heads, a 470 rivet flew out of the aft deck. Talk about a startle. That bugger never got set. It never fell out despite the canoe rotating on the rotisserie probably a hundred times. Numerous rivets driven with the fuse upside down. Lots of vibration. That rivet just sat there waiting for my finger to touch it and it flew out. Needless to say, I checked all the others with a mirror and set the wild one. This is the stuff that gives me nightmares. I'm a little OCD. When I do a job, I check the shop heads with a mirror and flashlight and usually check every shop head with a gauge. That one gets a name for surviving so long. I think his name will be "Murphy". I expect some really bizarre dreams tonight.

Interactive Koch Chart
...might come in handy
VAFDR_ 126 Jan. 25.jpg

Homemade Tool ...DanH
I think you can buy one of these, but I often make my own tools. I am a cheap SOB.
A piece of aluminum plate, two 1/4" hardware bolts, a few other bits, and some welding.
VAFDR_ 135 Jan. 26.jpg

Rotax 9A Update
EAA hosted a Webinar this week starring Phil Lockwood, who had some tidbits on the program:
-Testing is very much still underway, with work being done towards being able to offer a full kit
-915/916 can do single-lever power with a CS prop and integration box from RS Flight Systems
-75% for a 180hp Normally-Aspirated engine) up to ~19,500'. Maximum altitude is 22,500', as higher will cause the turbo to over-speed.
-US engines have 5 year, 2000hr factory warranty, includes major components, fusebox, ECU
-They're currently using an early 915is, but are planning to swap it out with a 916is soon. Added performance will show up in takeoff/climb, but cruise will be mostly unchanged due to max continuous being essentially the same between the engines
-They got permission from Vans to increase Vne to 205ktas (was unclear if this is for the kit in general or just for their testing), and they're easily cruising at 190 ktas up high
FlightAware showed N179RV got taken up to 17,500' last week, and it was really scooting around. Climb was a steady 1600fpm all the way up.

Localizing where to drill the hole
Here’s a technique I have used. You can buy very small magnets on Amazon along with something called “magnetic viewing film”. Tape the magnet into the underlying rivet hole, put the undrilled skin in place over the top and slowly move the magnetic film over the magnet. The dark spot is the magnet and identifies where to center punch the hole. Center punch all the holes and remove the skin to drill. I replaced a leading edge skin with hurricane damage that lined up perfectly with all the existing wing rib rivet holes.
VAFDR_ 128 Jan. 25.jpg

Prop Gov oil line help- photos
I’m converting my engine to CS. It’s a Titan IOX 360, horizontal cold air induction. I got the parts from Titan, but the stock lycoming SS oil pressure line doesn’t seem to fit. Any suggestions? Wondering if they have a flexible tube version that would fit better.
Any photos of the routing would be very helpful. Engine is on the stand, so I have easy access.
VAFDR_ 130 Jan. 25.jpg
VAFDR_ 131 Jan. 25.jpg

And this issue's Off Topic:
VAFDR_ 132 Jan. 25.jpg