Burm724

I'm New Here
Has anyone came up with a great idea for the vertically challenged?

I am 5’3” and even with the seat in the closest position, I still can not apply full brakes and the rudder is out of the question.

My husband is 5’8” and he can reach the pedals with his seat in the closest position, but the stick rubs on the seat.

It seems odd to me that there is so many options for the other RV’s but nothing really concrete for the RV-12.
I’ve read some posts about moving the seat even closer to the panel but wouldn’t it be better to offer pedal extensions vs sitting so close to the panel?

If you want to 3D print a set, here is a link to the files for extensions up to 2.5" that replace the Van's OEM parts. Carbon Fiber reinforced Nylon material is strong and lightweight. You may be able to get a set from rvplasticparts.com. Consider the 1" brake extensions if you go to the 2.5" rudder extensions.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

a really stiff pillow that only compresses to 2'' behind your back helps
I have my seat adjusted as far forward as possible, and I just clear the stick when flaring, adding a cushion would not help me. I acquired two sets of these pedal extensions that Van's used to sell. They no longer offer them and I was told that plans are not available.

I have my seat adjusted as far forward as possible, and I just clear the stick when flaring, adding a cushion would not help me. I acquired two sets of these pedal extensions that Van's used to sell. They no longer offer them and I was told that plans are not available.

There is an alternative stick that is referred to as "roomy" for those of us that are bigger, but it also allows for more stick clearance when moving the seat forward or using a cushion.

Last edited:
There is an alternative stick that is referred to as "roomy" for those of us that are bigger, but it also allows for more stick clearance when moving the seat forward or using a cushion.
Thanks, I will look for that.

Yikes! 437.00 dollars for two sticks. This is now the standard design.

Attachments

• rv-12-sticks-comparison.jpg
    rv-12-sticks-comparison.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 25
Yikes! 437.00 dollars for two sticks. This is now the standard design.
Certainly not cheap, and a bit of work for what seems like a simple problem to solve. Most of my family is 'roomy', short, or both :D Everyone has their own situation, I'm personally a little spooked by awareness of a fatality due to a loose pedal extension (non RV) and my kid will be flying this plane. It was easy for me to conclude it was worthwhile to solve the reach problem without attaching things to primary flight controls.