Tates

I'm New Here
Approximately halfway through my IFR training, I would like some guidance with intersection holds. My plane only has one nav, yet even with two VORs, I can still fly them on a sim. I am aware; there is a lot of OBS twisting. In the actual world, are there any shortcuts or methods for completing this? For "situational awareness," I have intersections in the databases for both my panel mount GPS (VFR) and my 496, but I anticipate that they won't work on the check ride.

I suggest you download the Garmin GTN free trainer, see link below. This way you get familiar with a IFR approved navigator.
It´s easy to set up a enroute holding procedure in the GTN 650Xi.
For your check ride you will have to demonstrate proficiency with an approved IFR navigator.

Good luck

Approximately halfway through my IFR training, I would like some guidance with intersection holds. My plane only has one nav, yet even with two VORs, I can still fly them on a sim. I am aware; there is a lot of OBS twisting. In the actual world, are there any shortcuts or methods for completing this? For "situational awareness," I have intersections in the databases for both my panel mount GPS (VFR) and my 496, but I anticipate that they won't work on the check ride.
So dumb question on my part: do you mean holding at the intersection of two VOR radials? If so, can you use DME instead of the crossing radial?

So dumb question on my part: do you mean holding at the intersection of two VOR radials? If so, can you use DME instead of the crossing radial?
Post #2: GPS is not required for the checkride.
Post #3: Yes, DME can be used if it’s published on the chart. But given the OP’s description of his equipment he doesn’t have one.
Post #1. You’re correct, non TSO’d gps may be used for ‘awareness’ only.
OP: I presume you don’t have an SL30, too bad. It can easily show 2 vor radials simultaneously. For the test, pay attention to the time inbound (I use a stopwatch on a lanyard). No need to check the cross fix until you get close. In practice use your non-TSO gps to help you ‘guess’ when it’s time to check the cross fix. In the real world huge accuracy is not expected here. Remember the FAA allows the vor to be off by as much as 6 deg (depending on how it was checked). BTW, be sure you have a VOR check recorded within 30 days of your ride, just in case the examiner asks. In my experience most examiners are more concerned that you actually get into the holding pattern given (eg, if left turns, north of station, that’s where you really are). Few will have you do more that two turns, so the ‘change the vor frequency-change the OBS’ drill is not too bad.

Last edited:
Note added.
I didn’t notice that you were not in the US. Peru’s rules may be different. Here in the US it’s up to the examiner as to how much ‘position awareness’ you can use, with the non-TSO’d gps. If he let’s you use it, then:
1. You can delay dialing in the cross fix radial (one vor) until your ‘position awareness’ (gps) tells you you are close.
2. Use the gps ground track (compare to holding course) to figure the needed wind correction angle.

Do you have budget / space for some inexpensive upgrade in your airplane's equipment?
What VOR navigation equipment do you currently have installed?

I suggest you download the Garmin GTN free trainer, see link below. This way you get familiar with a IFR approved navigator.
It´s easy to set up a enroute holding procedure in the GTN 650Xi.
For your check ride you will have to demonstrate proficiency with an approved IFR navigator.

Good luck
I looked into this and found a few helpful instructions. I needed to research this more thoroughly to make sure I was doing appropriately.

Yes, I did mean to say that. I also received a response from the DME I tested rather than the crossing radial.