Rallylancer122

Well Known Member
For some reason I can't find this one... When installing an AN-to-Pipe elbow in an engine, say a AN823-4D for example, obviously it needs to be clocked. But it also needs to be torqued. I can find torque specs for pipe fittings in Lycoming's Service Table of Limits, but I don't see anything about clocking allowances. So if you hit the torque and aren't clocked correctly, what do you do?

Well, I know what most people do is just tighten or loosen it a bit and move on with life, but I swear I read some guidance somewhere, either in an AC or some manufacturers instructions that said something like "Torque to X and adjust Y degrees in either direction as necessary for alignment." However I can't seem to find it. For my own edification I'd like to see if there's actual written guidance on this or if I'm just remembering something that never actually existed.

For some reason I can't find this one... When installing an AN-to-Pipe elbow in an engine, say a AN823-4D for example, obviously it needs to be clocked. But it also needs to be torqued. I can find torque specs for pipe fittings in Lycoming's Service Table of Limits, but I don't see anything about clocking allowances. So if you hit the torque and aren't clocked correctly, what do you do?

Well, I know what most people do is just tighten or loosen it a bit and move on with life, but I swear I read some guidance somewhere, either in an AC or some manufacturers instructions that said something like "Torque to X and adjust Y degrees in either direction as necessary for alignment." However I can't seem to find it. For my own edification I'd like to see if there's actual written guidance on this or if I'm just remembering something that never actually existed.

Look at section 5, where it discusses NPT pipe thread fittings.

Table 2 in the Service Table of Limits section of Lycoming's manual: SSP-1776-5 give torque values for pipe plugs. Should be able to use the same for any other tapered pipe thread.