erich weaver

Well Known Member
Greetings

Does anybody have any of the special nuts that are used along with roll pins and studs to attach the Whirl Wind 200 RV prop? My old nuts are a bit rounded off on the corners after having removed and reinstalled the prop several times. I was surprised to find out that Whirl Wind couldn’t provide me with any, and I don’t see them available from ACS or elsewhere on the internet either. I did contact the company that produced them for Whirl Wind and thought I was good, but the ones they have are slightly taller than the originals as shown in the photo. That is going to make them difficult to use in the very tight space on the prop hub. The new nuts don’t even fit unless I remove the washer, and then just barely. There was very little space there with the original nuts, forcing you to repetitively do a partial turn on each nut sequentially during installation. With the new taller nut, there is almost zero space, changing the installation task from tedious to extremely frustrating.

If I can’t get a hold of some of the original sized nuts from someone, I will likely have to find a machinist to shorten the new ones slightly. That might not even be possible if the nuts have been hardened or are otherwise not able to be machined.

If nothing else, I would advise owners of 200RV props to be careful when torquing these nuts. They seem to be difficult to replace!

Attachments

• IMG_0456.jpeg
    IMG_0456.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0457.jpeg
    IMG_0457.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 44
Greetings

Does anybody have any of the special nuts that are used along with roll pins and studs to attach the Whirl Wind 200 RV prop? My old nuts are a bit rounded off on the corners after having removed and reinstalled the prop several times. I was surprised to find out that Whirl Wind couldn’t provide me with any, and I don’t see them available from ACS or elsewhere on the internet either. I did contact the company that produced them for Whirl Wind and thought I was good, but the ones they have are slightly taller than the originals as shown in the photo. That is going to make them difficult to use in the very tight space on the prop hub. The new nuts don’t even fit unless I remove the washer, and then just barely. There was very little space there with the original nuts, forcing you to repetitively do a partial turn on each nut sequentially during installation. With the new taller nut, there is almost zero space, changing the installation task from tedious to extremely frustrating.

If I can’t get a hold of some of the original sized nuts from someone, I will likely have to find a machinist to shorten the new ones slightly. That might not even be possible if the nuts have been hardened or are otherwise not able to be machined.

If nothing else, I would advise owners of 200RV props to be careful when torquing these nuts. They seem to be difficult to replace!
I would try here.
JDW Propeller Service
Burton, OH
(440) 417-5366
[email protected]

Judging by the thread title, I thought this would be extolling the virtues of the WW propeller - "Koo-Koo for Cocoa Puffs," as it were. (I'm dating myself).