Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
I am about to take my project to the airport. The Illinois FSDO WAS SURPRISINGLY CORDIAL ABOUT HELPING WITH PAPERWORK AND AW INSPECTION. Myquestion is, if I cannot finish Phase1 before some unknown life event would force the sale of the airplane, what would be required of a new owner to continue phase 1 ?
Could a ferry permit be obtainable ?
Is a new AW inspection required ?
who could amend the OPLIMS ?

my concern is it might be smarter to sell the plane before AW Inspection if a relocation for new owner is too impractical 😒

I am about to take my project to the airport. The Illinois FSDO WAS SURPRISINGLY CORDIAL ABOUT HELPING WITH PAPERWORK AND AW INSPECTION. Myquestion is, if I cannot finish Phase1 before some unknown life event would force the sale of the airplane, what would be required of a new owner to continue phase 1 ?
Could a ferry permit be obtainable ?
Is a new AW inspection required ?
who could amend the OPLIMS ?
my concern is it might be smarter to sell the plane before AW Inspection if a relocation for new owner is too impractical 😒
The Op Lims don't change because of a sale. The new owner can continue phase I per the Op Lims.
A ferry permit may be obtained depending on at what point the aircraft is in the testing phase and how far the aircraft needs to move.
The FAA or a DAR can amend the Op Lims. If the aircraft needs to move a great distance within phase I, a ferry permit is not likely, especially if it is early in the testing stage.

Under normal circumstances a new A/W inspection would not be required.

If it is moved outside the assigned test area it is a simple matter to get with a local DAR or the responsible FSDO and get a new test area approved. Sometimes you can get a permit to fly it to the new location if some testing has been completed. I've done a few where they were allowed to be moved after 5 hours of testing was completed. The route had to be over unpopulated areas and DAY VFR only.

Vic