VexRV8

I'm New Here
The dreaded left elevator/trim tab.. My trim tab actually came out great, but I messed up the actual elevator tab. I went a little too heavy on the tab length, and it is now too long to properly fold over without contacting the other side of the skin. Before I take some snips to it, I wanted to get some opinions on how to progress.

You can see below the bottom tab contacting the top before it hits 90 degrees.

Left Elevator Tab.jpg

I've seen many posts on putting in a riblet, but it is hard to find something definitive on the best way to attach it. What is the consensus regarding the riblet flanges facing outboard and blind riveting, vs inboard and squeezing, later on filling with fiberglass? Also, should I manufacture a tab into it and attach this to the spar like many other ribs in the build, or keep it floating?

I already have an extra E-703 that should fit this use perfectly, so my plan would be to cut that up and make the riblet out of that.

Thanks all for the help!

Here is my detailed series of posts for my trim tab with the riblets. Hope it helps if you decide to go that route. I decided to use the mod after reviewing numerous build log posts where the attempts to bend the flanges were less than desirable.

Trim Tab Riblet Mod

Thanks Bryan, exactly what I needed to see! Hoping I didn't push my tab past workable. I see from your pictures, you retained parts of the skin that I've already bent. I supposed I could bend back just slightly if it turns out to matter. I think I am going to actually finish the trim tab before working further on this so I can see how the parts look together, and what kind of clearance I will be needing.

Thanks!

Last edited: