RV-4

Well Known Member
A while back there was a thread about importing an aircraft to the US be it certified or experimental..
If I recall properly it was mentioned that it is easier to get the aircraft flown to the US under its Canadian registration by a Canadian licensed pilot then get the aircraft officially sold and unregistered with Canada and re-registered in the US… Apparently it makes the process easier and cheaper….

The reason I’m asking it that I have a friend who is in the process of selling his aircraft ( certified) to a US citizen and then buy an RV and we wanna make it as easy as possible for the buyer to get his aircraft in the US..

Is there anyone who has experienced doing that or did I simply dream about that???

Thanks

A while back there was a thread about importing an aircraft to the US be it certified or experimental..
If I recall properly it was mentioned that it is easier to get the aircraft flown to the US under its Canadian registration by a Canadian licensed pilot then get the aircraft officially sold and unregistered with Canada and re-registered in the US… Apparently it makes the process easier and cheaper….

The reason I’m asking it that I have a friend who is in the process of selling his aircraft ( certified) to a US citizen and then buy an RV and we wanna make it as easy as possible for the buyer to get his aircraft in the US..

Is there anyone who has experienced doing that or did I simply dream about that???

Thanks
In BC, Canada I know the shop who did export of many airplanes from/to US and specifically exported my certified in to US from Canada (flown in to US under Canadian registration by Canadian licensed pilot.
Process involved paperwork, lots of paperwork, but went smooth and easy.
PM me and I can give you the shop information if you want.

Thanks

What I did. Had the Canadian owner hop it across the border then I few it home on the Canadian registration which is legal. Now the complicated part: Before it can be registered in the U.S. the Canadian registration must be cancelled and the FAA notified through official channels. Then you can get a DAR inspection, new airworthiness certificate and then N number. As I remember it took about a month between canceling registration and the FAA being notified. The Canadian owner was working for Transport Canada so he was very knowledgable about the proceedure.

What I did. Had the Canadian owner hop it across the border then I few it home on the Canadian registration which is legal. Now the complicated part: Before it can be registered in the U.S. the Canadian registration must be cancelled and the FAA notified through official channels. Then you can get a DAR inspection, new airworthiness certificate and then N number. As I remember it took about a month between canceling registration and the FAA being notified. The Canadian owner was working for Transport Canada so he was very knowledgable about the procedure.
Minor correction. "N" number (registration) has to come before the Airworthiness certificate.

In BC, Canada I know the shop who did export of many airplanes from/to US and specifically exported my certified in to US from Canada (flown in to US under Canadian registration by Canadian licensed pilot.
Process involved paperwork, lots of paperwork, but went smooth and easy.
PM me and I can give you the shop information if you want.
Thanks Vlad

PM on the way

Regards

Bruno

I looked into this before with a certified aircraft. Bottom line is if you want to buy it in Canada, it must meet US standards before you can bring it into the states. For example if there are any modifications from the original type certificate in Canada, they have to be brought up to US standards in Canada prior to import. Things that we would consider STC’s or 337 field approvals

The work around is to for the seller to have the Canadian registered plane flown to your favorite repair station here in the US. The repair station here can conduct your pre purchase inspection, evaluate the aircraft, and the documentation and if you decide to go through with the purchase, its already here and in a repair station that can address the issues that would have prevented it from being imported.

I’ve done a number of these in the last few years. It’s not that hard.
First, review the logs and make sure there are good builder logs in order to prove it was amateur-built.
Check log books for proper Phase I sign off. If it’s not there you may have to go through a testing program in the US. Not a showstopper.
Have it flown to the USA and deregistered in Canada. This can be done online. Then register it in US.Make sure you have a good bill of sale. I recommend using one of the escrow agencies in OKC, as they can walk it through the Registry and have it all done the same day.
Then, find a DAR. You will need a US airworthiness certificate and Operating limitations. If Phase I is already properly documented I usually only require 1 hour and 5 takeoffs and landings (mostly because a CI has usually been done with some repairs).
Don’t forget to put the new N-number on the aircraft and the passenger warning placards prior to the inspection.
Vic

Thanks

For certified airplanes it will need an "Export Certificate of Airworthiness", this needs to come from Canada. Then follow the process explained below.

Thanks a lot everyone for all your comments and suggestions, my friend is monitoring this thread and will take it fron there..

Cheers

Bruno