Oroyo

I’ve seen chocks of various materials but all similar design but then I noticed “rope chocks“ on aircraft spruce and it made me curious about any other interesting designs are out there.

I made up some chocks from rope, painted the ends red. They are light, soft, and can be folded up into the baggage area. They are surprisingly effective given the small diameter. One could choose larger diameter rope.
I first saw and experienced them flying into Canadian military bases.

IMG_9550 - Version 2.jpg

1” PVC pipe, 4 90 degree connectors and end caps. 30 minutes if you really take your time. Weigh next to nothing and work great. I like the rope idea also, will have to put them both on a scale and see how they compare.

I used some Home Depot aluminum angle, 2ea .125"x1.5" x 1.5 " x 6" and some bright pink braided poly line to keep the pieces connected together.

edit: forgot to mention thickness -- 0.125"

Last edited:
Similar to what Brian did, I used some 1" x 1" x 0.125" angle, resplendent with lightening holes and the N-number on the front. Used some 1/4" diameter cord on the inboard side and a mini-bungee cord with one end tied off on the outboard side. Easy to toss around the tires and hook up the bungee cord hook on the side facing out. Doesn't interfere with the wheel pants and they can be tossed in the pocket behind the seat for traveling.

+1 on the PVC Pipe

You can slide some rubber hose over the ends as an alternative to end caps and get a bit more grip. If you are wily, you can set them up to just slide on/off at your desired tire pressure. If you are a couple of psi low you'll feel them grabbing on preflight.

+1 on the PVC Pipe

You can slide some rubber hose over the ends as an alternative to end caps and get a bit more grip. If you are wily, you can set them up to just slide on/off at your desired tire pressure. If you are a couple of psi low you'll feel them grabbing on preflight.
I sprayed the four corners of mine with truck bed liner after a couple of years. They tend to stay in place a little better now, but it wasn’t an issue before.

Do you know how to splice rope? This 1/2” works fine for the hangar. Think I’ll pick up some 1” next time I’m at the aviation section of Home Depot.

Attachments

• IMG_1617.jpeg
    IMG_1617.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1616.jpeg
    IMG_1616.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 64
Do you know how to splice rope? This 1/2” works fine for the hangar. Think I’ll pick up some 1” next time I’m at the aviation section of Home Depot.
Pretty sure HD doesn’t have 1” but yeah, I’ve done some splice eyes before, it’s fun

I used some Home Depot aluminum angle, 2ea .125"x1.5" x 1.5 " x 6" and some bright pink braided poly line to keep the pieces connected together.

edit: forgot to mention thickness -- 0.125"
Exactly what I did except I used bungee chord instead of poly line to keep the pieces together. Small, inexpensive, light weight and you can paint and personalize them as much or as little as you want. ;)

Got some 1” polypropylene rope and found out it doesn’t splice very well. But it does safety wire nicely. Weight was 11 ounces.
I like the fact it folds nicely into a compact size and isn’t hard like an angle should it get loose.

I think I can get the weight down another ounce by shortening the rope.

Attachments

• IMG_1628.jpeg
    IMG_1628.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 47