PhatRV

Well Known Member
Patron
I got assigned a temporary experimental repairman for my RV8 today. After three weeks of trying to contact the Riverside FSDO with zero result, I called up the Long Beach FSDO and in less than a week, I was in contact with an ASI. It took a couple of weeks to complete all the paperwork and to review the electronic build log. We schedule for an actual aircraft inspection today. Instead of only rubber stamp the the form, two ASI showed up and inspected the aircraft log book, the various build logs and documentations I have about the aircraft. One did a inspection of the aircraft to verify the workmanship against the Vans drawings. He asked some basic questions about aircraft maintenance, how a person uses the tool, how to inspect the oil filter, how to do the compression check, etc...
I didn't have to remove all the aircraft panels but the ASI wanted to the cowl removed so he could check the engine installation.
Overall, it was a good experience with the Long Beach FSDO.

That’s very interesting. It’s good to hear these things are taken seriously. Thanks for sharing.

That’s very interesting. It’s good to hear these things are taken seriously. Thanks for sharing.
The ASI mentioned that he is familiar with experimentals and maybe this was the reason he was more thorough than the anecdotal stories that I heard before.

When I got my Repairman certificate all I did was make an appointment at the FSDO in San Diego. I showed up with my laptop full of build photos and the filled out form and had a temporary certificate in less than 30 minutes. No inspection of the airplane, or quiz on maintenance/inspection procedures.

My DAR signed FAA form 8610 after he inspected the plane. I still had to deliver the 8610 to the FSDO along with all supporting documents, which were hardly examined.

When I got my Repairman certificate all I did was make an appointment at the FSDO in San Diego. I showed up with my laptop full of build photos and the filled out form and had a temporary certificate in less than 30 minutes. No inspection of the airplane, or quiz on maintenance/inspection procedures.
I had an identical experience, but not at San Diego. I had the form filled out ahead of time and was asked a lot of questions about the building process. But it was pretty easy.

Same at VNY FSDO. Brought the form, my build logs and binders (lots) and my computer with photos of the build. About a half hour to 45 minutes of questions about the build, tools, parts, etc., and good to go.

The bit about re-inspecting the aircraft seems weird to me...

Same at VNY FSDO. Brought the form, my build logs and binders (lots) and my computer with photos of the build. About a half hour to 45 minutes of questions about the build, tools, parts, etc., and good to go.

The bit about re-inspecting the aircraft seems weird to me...
Sometimes I feel like I have the worst of luck or being the most fortunate RV builder. During the AWC inspection, two ASI tagged along with the DAR for the AW inspection. This was the 2nd DAR and he did a pre-inspection inspection, plus the previous DAR also did a build inspection but had retired. Now there are two different ASI inspected the airplane, the logs, and the builder. I can't say that all the Ts are crossed and the "i"s are dotted but they are close, it feels like my RV is being closed watched, as close as the FAA is watching the Boeing jets at the moment.
Who knows, my RV is probably the most squared away RV given that four (4) FAA ASI officials had inspected it + 2 DAR inspectors + 1 NTSB investigator who did detailed measurements on it.

Sometimes I feel like I have the worst of luck or being the most fortunate RV builder. During the AWC inspection, two ASI tagged along with the DAR for the AW inspection. This was the 2nd DAR and he did a pre-inspection inspection, plus the previous DAR also did a build inspection but had retired. Now there are two different ASI inspected the airplane, the logs, and the builder. I can't say that all the Ts are crossed and the "i"s are dotted but they are close, it feels like my RV is being closed watched, as close as the FAA is watching the Boeing jets at the moment.
Who knows, my RV is probably the most squared away RV given that four (4) FAA ASI officials had inspected it + 2 DAR inspectors + 1 NTSB investigator who did detailed measurements on it.
What on earth was the NTSB investigator involved for? And what was he measuring?

NTSB has zero involvement in AW inspections for EABs, as far as I know...

a DAR can't do a repairman's cert. which seems strange as he is already there, face to face with the repairman and his airplane.
mine was issued after a lot of debate about at what airport we would meet, as we were 150 miles apart. in the end i offered to meet him in his driveway if need be as we were tripping over nothing. i think the meeting is to prove you are really who you say. it was literally a minute of contact, and we were both on our way. it all went slam bam when i offered to drive to his town.

a DAR can't do a repairman's cert. which seems strange as he is already there, face to face with the repairman and his airplane.
mine was issued after a lot of debate about at what airport we would meet, as we were 150 miles apart. in the end i offered to meet him in his driveway if need be as we were tripping over nothing. i think the meeting is to prove you are really who you say. it was literally a minute of contact, and we were both on our way. it all went slam bam when i offered to drive to his town.
Yeah, this has been discussed at length in the past. FAAs final decision is based on the fact that the Repairman Certificate is an "Airman Certificate" and a DAR cannot issue an Airman Certificate. A DAR CAN help the applicant fill out the application and write a letter of recommendation. That helps a lot. FAA ASIs that I have dealt with are typically very cooperative in this respect.

Same with Philly. They were really helpful.

I got my repairman certificate late 2022 up in NorCal. The Oakland FSDO wouldn't even pick up the phone (never managed to talk to a human there), whereas the Sacramento FSDO was super easy to schedule and work with. Initial contact 18-Nov, final meeting with the inspector 21-Dec, which was the date of issue on the certificate. And it only took that long because I had a crazy schedule and had to delay. He had everything ready after two weeks.

I got my repairman certificate late 2022 up in NorCal. The Oakland FSDO wouldn't even pick up the phone (never managed to talk to a human there), whereas the Sacramento FSDO was super easy to schedule and work with. Initial contact 18-Nov, final meeting with the inspector 21-Dec, which was the date of issue on the certificate. And it only took that long because I had a crazy schedule and had to delay. He had everything ready after two weeks.
My experience was similar to Ryan
The Grand Rapids MI FSDO was super easy to work with. After my initial email asking about an inspection I was scheduled in less than 2 weeks. We had a few email exchanges to provide needed information. The inspector showed up on time, spend about 2.5 hours doing the inspection and paper work (on his computer). He also handled the Repairman Certificate application, I received it in the mail with 4 weeks.

I’ve written of my story before, but I’ll repeat it:
My DAR of course couldn’t issue the Repairman certificate. I made an appointment with the OAK FSDO 4 months after my airworthiness inspection. I walk in, carrying a briefcase full of documents, notes, photographs, etc, and am greeted by an inspector, and my former DAR. It seems he is now a new hire at the FSDO. He laughs, says something to the inspector, and then he and I shoot the breeze while the paperwork is typed up.