Imagine47

While my half completed RV14 project sits in storage waiting for Vans and Lycoming to ship fuse and engine I decided to take over a partially completed RV8 project that included a new, still in the crate, yo-360 with dual mags. My previous 14/io-390 had dual emags and I loved them but cannot seem to find any info/informed opinions about their value in carbureted engines. I’m trying to keep the -8 project simple and cheap as all my airplane budget (and then some) is sitting in storage and committed to the -14 project so I am trying to see the value proposition in emags for the o-360.
thanks in advance
Greg Beckner
RV 14A built, flown and sold (bad dog!)
RV 14 emp and wings done
RV 8 maybe 60% done
dues paid.

I’m running dual P-Mag’s in two different carbed engines (and the same in two FI engines) and they work great! They start better, and spark plug costs are WAY down….

Reactions: JGT
There's a LOT of discussion on this topic in the archives here. I was swayed by those discussions and equipped our O-360 with a single P-Mag and retained the impulse-coupled Slick mag on the left side.

The net performance difference in this carb'd engine is a savings of approximately 1 GPH of fuel as compared to the power charts provided by Lycoming. As Paul pointed out, starts are easy, power is sure, automotive plugs are cheap and easy to find.

Overall, the P-Mag is something that I would highly recommend, even for a carb'd engine.

Reactions: JGT
I ran dual Pmags on my O360 for years. I was most interested in reliability and easy starting which the Pmags provided.
I ran a.variety of ignition systems on the O360 before I replaced it with a IO-370 with dual Bendix mags.

None of the electron ignitions are perfect but I liked the Pmags on my O-360