Tim 8-A

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I currently have old Prinston Puck sytle sender and need to replace them, I am looking at the Cies senders (1 per tank).
Do they use the same size screw as factory?
How many gallons will be unreadable with a single sender?
Has anyone installed the sender while attached to the wing or should I remove the tank?
Welcome commits on if its worth the mod to go with 2 per tank.
TIA

How many gallons will be unreadable with a single sender?
I have stock Vans’ senders, at the inboard end of standard 30 gal tanks. When full, I cannot ‘see’ the top 5 gal/tank. e.g., the gauges read 25/25. Anything less, they’re accurate (calibrated via efis). Between looking into the tanks before takeoff, and a fuel flow rate gauge, I see no need for any additional senders. If I had extended range tanks, I might reconsider this.
As to removal, I’d give it a try in situ before pulling the tank.

I think it’s up to you whether 2 senders per tank is worth it.
I flew for around 100h with 1 sender in standard tanks and found it mildly irritating having come from a 7 which was spot on all the time. As Bob says, between dipping and an accurate flow meter it’s hard to get into trouble.
I doubt I’d have gone to the trouble of second senders if I’d stayed with the standard tanks. When I built my ER I chose to add a second sender.
I’d also be unenthusiastic about removing a tank on a painted plane too.

Love the CIES senders. I don't know what to tell you as far as your installation but I can tell you who is a fountain of knowledge... the guy who answers the phone at CIES (541) 977-1043.

It was refreshing to deal with a company that is knowledgeable and generous with the information.

It was CIES tech support who knew more about the JPI 930 than trying to get anyone on the phone at JP Instruments... A++

They have the same hole pattern but you need to upsize the holes (from an 8 to a 10, I believe).
sounds right. I didn't retro but have these sensors going in from the original build. I just installed the next size up nutplates on my build. I had to add in holes for the 2nd sender (did 2/tank)

I put 2 cies per side with the er tanks, that gives me a full read from full to empty. What I can say in general about the cies sensors is that after speaking with the engineers at cies I understood that the accuracy of the sensor is 1/100th of a gallon, much more accurate than the screen can display.

I enjoy the full thank read a lot, no guessing. That's what I am used to from the military world.