Piper J3

Well Known Member
Both of my carb drip trays are cracked from vibration with 900TT and are being replaced with new. Question…. I have seen on Synergy-built legacy RV-12 where they have a silicone type doughnut (3/4” round) wedged between bottom of carb float bowl and the drip tray... I assume to limit vibration of the sheetmetal tray. Does anybody have information about this part? I don’t see reference in KAI….

Both of my carb drip trays are cracked from vibration with 900TT and are being replaced with new. Question…. I have seen on Synergy-built legacy RV-12 where they have a silicone type doughnut (3/4” round) wedged between bottom of carb float bowl and the drip tray... I assume to limit vibration of the sheetmetal tray. Does anybody have information about this part? I don’t see reference in KAI….
When I built my ELSA the KAI told us to put a blob of ProSeal between the Drip Tray and bottom of the Float Bowl. Used a wire or thin blade to slice it when removing carb for the first time.

At 1300 hrs my right one cracked in the right side radius. I made a new piece removed the cracked one and replaced it. There is a fillet of proseal in all corners that probably helps dampen the movement. Carb balance and dynamic prop balance are your friend.

Page 46-07 (Rev. 2), Steps 3-5 of the RV-12 Plan Set describes the installation of a vibration dampener for the carbs.