bmellis11

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Andair's website says their FS2020 duplex fuel valve for 3/8" fuel lines is good for engines up to 200hp. Their larger FS2520 valve uses 1/2" fuel lines. The IO-390-EXP119 is 215hp. The RV-14 appears to use 3/8" fuel lines for all approved engines.

I plan to use SDS electronic fuel injection and ignition with an IO-390-EXP119. Is it safe to assume that the FS2020 and 3/8" fuel lines would be appropriate for this configuration despite the 200hp limit, or might there be an issue with the valve that makes it unsuitable even though 3/8" lines are called for by Van's?

I plan to reach out to Andair, but was curious if anyone more knowledgeable here knows. Is anyone here using this same setup?

Andair's website says their FS2020 duplex fuel valve for 3/8" fuel lines is good for engines up to 200hp. Their larger FS2520 valve uses 1/2" fuel lines. The IO-390-EXP119 is 215hp. The RV-14 appears to use 3/8" fuel lines for all approved engines.

I plan to use SDS electronic fuel injection and ignition with an IO-390-EXP119. Is it safe to assume that the FS2020 and 3/8" fuel lines would be appropriate for this configuration despite the 200hp limit, or might there be an issue with the valve that makes it unsuitable even though 3/8" lines are called for by Van's?

I plan to reach out to Andair, but was curious if anyone more knowledgeable here knows. Is anyone here using this same setup?
For our RV14 SDS packages, we recommend the FS2020 valve. We use -6 supply and returns. MANY flying as well as Rv10/IO540s with excellent results.

The SDS EFI 540 in my Rocket made 336 HP on the Lycon dyno, and it is fed with 3/8 lines through an Andair FS2020 with no issues. My post modification fuel flow testing showed the system would deliver nearly 50 GPH.

The SDS EFI 540 in my Rocket made 336 HP on the Lycon dyno, and it is fed with 3/8 lines through an Andair FS2020 with no issues. My post modification fuel flow testing showed the system would deliver nearly 50 GPH.
Thanks for the info. Your Rocket sounds like a lot of fun.

Now that's the bit of information I was looking for, right there. I'm planning SDS for my RV10 540, and was wondering about the need for 1/2" vs 3/8" on the Andair.

Haven’t taken it apart but the Andair appears to be a three-way iso-valve or two such valves coupled together e.g. the unneeded port is blocked. The related valve body is “empty”. This as opposed to ported ball valves. .

Losses are far more sensitive to tube diameter (inversely proportional by the fifth power of D). In short summary, the losses due to the Andair are very small compared to that in the lines. Toobuilder has validated some pretty high flows for his system/layout. It proves it can be done with 3/8” related equipment. It’s not blank-check proof.

Toobuilder has validated some pretty high flows for his system/layout. It proves it can be done with 3/8” related equipment. It’s not blank-check proof.
It’s also important to keep in mind that I paid considerable attention to the suction side of the system in an effort to accommodate junk car gas. No 90 degree fittings (even at the selector), short runs, no hose, etc.

It’s also important to keep in mind that I paid considerable attention to the suction side of the system in an effort to accommodate junk car gas. No 90 degree fittings (even at the selector), short runs, no hose, etc.
By junk car gas do you mean pump gas with ethanol? What's your compression ratio?

Whose fuel pump did you use and model number?

I used the SDS dual pump module with the recommended Walbro pumps
The "recommended " Walbro" pump (GSL393) outputs 50 gph at slightly less than 20 psi. See pump curve for the GSL393. 20 psi seems low. The GSL391 is rated at 50 gph at 40 psi. Wouldn't this be a better fit for a 540? That's what I am using on mine. Some builders have seen fuel pressure reduction at richer settings on take-off.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-21 065118.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-04-21 065118.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Pump current flow pressure Walbro GSL393.jpg
    Pump current flow pressure Walbro GSL393.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 19
Now that you mention it, I don’t remember if I went with the 393 or 391. Will have to check my records. That said, I do not think I have seen over 30GPH on takeoff even down at sea level, so even the 393 provides a comfortable margin.