Vansconvert

Well Known Member
Is there a difference in the height from the top of the wing to the top of the longerons on a 7 and 8? Asking for ease of entry.

I've flown both, and haven't noticed an appreciable difference in the distance you reference. The wing is essentially the same on the two models, and that's what determines where you sit in the cockpit. The bigger issue for ease of entry is taildragger vs. nose dragger and slider vs. tip-up. But that debate opens up a whole 'nuther can of worms.

I have limited experience in a 7 but I've always had to stand on the seat to get in. On the 8, standing on the seat is not necessary or particularly helpful. I'd rather not stand on my seat. People carry towels to protect the seats but I'd rather not deal with that either.

I own a RV8 and fly with a friend in a RV7A, and here are my observations. It is a bit easier to get up on the wing of the
RV7A due to the step. I find that I must stand on the seat to lower myself into either airplane. But, it is easier to lower myself
into the seat in the RV8 because I can put my arms/hands on both sides of the cockpit. Perhaps there is something on the RV7A that I could
grab, but I haven't found it yet.

The 8/4 are much easier to get in/out, I find the side by side cockpits awkward and cramped 2 up, tandem is the go

The 8/4 are much easier to get in/out, I find the side by side cockpits awkward and cramped 2 up, tandem is the go
Agreed! Just another reason to count the -4 and -8 as the best RV designs..... :) Did we mention sitting on the center line........?;)

SuzieQ is a -4. I was tired of either pulling the seat back with my foot as I got in or stepping on the seat cushion. I have a secondary cushion under the main cushion in the front of SuzieQ to augment the support of the main cushion. It is about 1 1/2 inches shorter on the forward end than the main seat cushion. That leaves a 1 1/2-2 inch exposed area of the formed aluminum seat bottom. There is a non-slip strip on this area and that is where my heel goes to support me as I slip into the front seat. Works very well and affords plenty of support getting in. The lack of secondary cushion in that area is not noticeable. :cool:

I own a RV8 and fly with a friend in a RV7A, and here are my observations. It is a bit easier to get up on the wing of the
RV7A due to the step. I find that I must stand on the seat to lower myself into either airplane. But, it is easier to lower myself
into the seat in the RV8 because I can put my arms/hands on both sides of the cockpit. Perhaps there is something on the RV7A that I could
Mike Seager showed me how to get in a 7 without stepping on the seat.

1. inboard foot in the seat cutout on the inboard side of the stick.
2. Butt on the top of the seatback
3. outboard foot over the sill and down on the floor
4. inboard foot down on the floor
5. slide your bum down

when you lower yourself, you can put your outboard hand on the longeron and your board hand either on teh crossbar behind the opposite seat or grab the windshield brace up near the rill bar (if it's a slider)

The rv8 does not have a step?

For those of you with an 8 that step on the seat, this might help avoid that:

1. Entering from the left (reverse for entry from the right)
2. Right foot placed immediately behind right foot well
3. Left foot over the sill and on the floor left of stick with butt high on seat back (almost standing)
4. Right foot to floor right of stick
5. Lower butt onto seat using sills.

1. Exiting to the right (for some reason I seem to enter from left and exit to right)
2. Scoot butt up a bit with hands on sills until almost standing.
3. Left foot to immediately behind left footwell and stand
4.. Right foot over sill followed with left foot on the wing.

The 8A does have a step.

The rv8 does not have a step?
The plans for the RV8 doesn't include the step but some builders added the step into their RV8s. It is easier to add the step during the building of the fuselage but it can be retrofitted after the airplane has been flown.

This clever idea comes from my new Morgan Super 3. It’s open cockpit is of similar dimensions and side wall height as my 6.
They mount a simple square tube just below and in front of the seat. You can step in and rest your heal on the “step”, swing the other foot over and slide right down.
I can just reach the floor in the 6 IMG_9277.jpegIMG_9278.jpegbut it’s a stretch. I am contemplating how to fabricate and install this intermediary step idea.

The plans for the RV8 doesn't include the step but some builders added the step into their RV8s. It is easier to add the step during the building of the fuselage but it can be retrofitted after the airplane has been flown.
Some people shorten the step if it’s going on an -8 as well.

This clever idea comes from my new Morgan Super 3. It’s open cockpit is of similar dimensions and side wall height as my 6.
They mount a simple square tube just below and in front of the seat. You can step in and rest your heal on the “step”, swing the other foot over and slide right down.
I can just reach the floor in the 6 View attachment 62355View attachment 62356but it’s a stretch. I am contemplating how to fabricate and install this intermediary step idea.
That looks like a good way to slip and fall to me.

It’s hard to tell in the pics but the bar is angled backyards. It works quite well and I haven’t slipped on it.
It’s just an idea that would need flushing out. I think a carefully designed “intermediary” step could be made that would make stepping into some RV models easier, and I think it could be done safely.
Now, where did I put all that extra time on my hands?