andoman

Well Known Member
My HRII is currently flying with a 2 bladed Hartzell paddle. (8475D blades).
I've read the threads on Rocket props, but they are dated and I'm looking for current info.
I really, REALLY want to get some weight off the nose so I'm hoping to learn if there is a viable 2 blade composite solution for the Rockets
I spoke to a rep at WW and I was told that they only offer a 3 blade for Rockets. And it's weight isn't much lighter than my current metal 2 blade.
Any info would be appreciated. I'd like to be more informed than I am right now before I make contact with Harzell and MT.
I wish GT would get back to me... 2 of their blades in my hub would be the ticket. That is, of course, if they perform.

EDIT: I have corrected some info in this post. I had Hartzell on the brain as I was typing.
It is MT that will NOT sell me a 2 bladed prop for my Rocket with the IO-540. Not an option since it will weigh almost as much as the 2 blade Hartzell that it replaces.
Delivery on an order today is FEB of next year.

Update from GT: They are now focusing only on their complete prop. At one time they made blades that would fit a Hartzell hub but now they will only sell complete props. I don’t know if their current hub is a new design or not.

Last edited:
I have the Hartzel "B" hub with the composite 8301 blades on my RV-10 and love it. This would be perfect for the HR. This prop is something like 14 to 16 pounds lighter than the 2 bladed BA aluminum prop. By using this combo on my 10, I moved the battery to the firewall and got rid of the big 2O wire running from the back. No regrets.

Attachments

• IMG_0423.JPG
    IMG_0423.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 25
Thanks Blackhawk, just the info I’m looking for.
I have called Hartzell twice in 2 days and I seem to only get voicemail. Ive also left them a “please contact me” email on their website.
Hoping someone will call me back at some point…
Sent you a message.

Keep in mind that the blade twist on the Hartzel units are different for the Rockets and Glassairs than the "slower" airplanes that use the seemingly otherwise identical prop. An 80 inch paddle from a Comanche or Cherokee Six would be a dog on a Rocket compared to the visually identical 80 inch paddle with the "Rocket twist".

Also understand what you are looking for in your "mission"... My BA 2 blade handily outpulls my buddy's MT 3 blade with both of us at 2700 RPM, but at 2300 he has the edge.

Thanks Blackhawk, just the info I’m looking for.
I have called Hartzell twice in 2 days and I seem to only get voicemail. Ive also left them a “please contact me” email on their website.
Hoping someone will call me back at some point…
I wouldn't recommend the blade that Blackhawk is using for the faster Rocket, unlikely that you'd be happy with it. We don't currently have something that is a known, good option as a composite two blade for the Rocket.
Keep in mind that the blade twist on the Hartzel units are different for the Rockets and Glassairs than the "slower" airplanes that use the seemingly otherwise identical prop. An 80 inch paddle from a Comanche or Cherokee Six would be a dog on a Rocket compared to the visually identical 80 inch paddle with the "Rocket twist".

Also understand what you are looking for in your "mission"... My BA 2 blade handily outpulls my buddy's MT 3 blade with both of us at 2700 RPM, but at 2300 he has the edge.
Also this. If you've got a preferred/typical cruise setting (airspeed [KCAS or KTAS], altitude, approximate horsepower, and RPM) I can take a look and see if there's something with potential.

TParker,
I cruise at Rocket speeds: 180-190 KTS TAS at 7500-11500K. 2400 RPM. 60% of 260HP.
I do lots of slower formation and basic acro but the prop is less critical during those missions.
Im happy enough with the performance of my D twist paddles, except that they aren’t very smooth…
The end Goal is to keep the performance close to the same and lose significant weight off the nose.
Thanks for the responses.

TParker,
I cruise at Rocket speeds: 180-190 KTS TAS at 7500-11500K. 2400 RPM. 60% of 260HP.
I do lots of slower formation and basic acro but the prop is less critical during those missions.
Im happy enough with the performance of my D twist paddles, except that they aren’t very smooth…
The end Goal is to keep the performance close to the same and lose significant weight off the nose.
I routinely flight plan for 175 KTS in my 10. Attached is the best I've seen in my 10 for TAS. Ask to talk to on of the engineers at Hartzell, if you get through. This prop was extensively tested on a super8, and it performed great. If it works that good on a super 8, and the 10, I think you would be happy with one on your Rocket:).

Attachments

• IMG_3500.jpg
    IMG_3500.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 30
TParker,
Sent an email with details.
I routinely flight plan for 175 KTS in my 10. Attached is the best I've seen in my 10 for TAS. Ask to talk to on of the engineers at Hartzell, if you get through. This prop was extensively tested on a super8, and it performed great. If it works that good on a super 8, and the 10, I think you would be happy with one on your Rocket:).
Yeah, that combination sometimes outperforms our expectations; it needs high power coefficients (high power, low RPM) to keep the blade loaded well, at lower power settings our analysis indicates it falls off pretty quickly. Glad you're happy with it, and nice paint job on your -10!

Thanks to everyone who has pitched in with a bit of info.
I’ve been contacted by Hartzell and have some great information with which to make a decision.
I’ll be contacting my prop shop for the blade swap and IRAN estimate that will finalize my costs.
The expertise, knowledge, and detailed information available here never ceases to impress and amaze me.
Thanks again.