VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-13-2012, 07:05 PM

Default fiberglass cloth/windscreen

What type and weight of fiberglass cloth is best for windscreen fairings?
Old 02-15-2012, 06:07 AM

Default Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjet View Post
What type and weight of fiberglass cloth is best for windscreen fairings?
Jeff,

Days have elapsed since you posted your query and I'm surprised that to date has gone completely unanswered. I am by no means a fiberglass guru and working with fiberglass is an art I do not consider myself particularily skilled or knowledgeable about. For the purposes of fashioning the windscreen fairing, I'm not sure how the experts go about defining what fiberglass material is "best." There may be any number of acceptable materials and ways to fashion a windscreen. Since no one has responded to your query, I'll hazard the following. For both my projects I used fiberglass tape exclusively. I believe I learned about tape from one of George Orndorff's early construction videos. It's 3" width seems about right and by slightly offsetting each run, a four-ply layup works for me. A description and source for fiberglass tape is found here:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...ges/etapes.php

The images show a work in progress. The offset in the tape lay up is apparent.

EAA Technical Counselor
Old 02-15-2012, 09:28 AM

Default Thanks Rick

Thanks for the advice and pix. Looks clean and neat, the tape is far easier than cutting cloth which seems to always be a mess. i think the reason I didn't get any response at first is I posted in wrong place.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:28 AM

Smile

You might also be able to get the similar West Systems tape at your local boat store.
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 02-15-2012, 11:43 AM

Default windscreen

im working on my RV-6 wind screen as we speak and dave watson gave me some insight to get started on it which helped out alot one of the best tips was to go to the fabric store and get the pizza roller cutter with cutting board @ $21 it will cut fabric very nice also i went to Lowes in there paint dept and got fiberglass cloth one pack is more than enough for $9 and im using West epoxy its just one of those things you just got to dive into it gets better as you go along hope this helps
bob
Old 02-15-2012, 12:21 PM

Default lowes fiberglass

I have the cutter and board. On thought on fiberglass from Lowe's or autopart stores is they tend to be pretty heavy fabric and not real conducive to curves. i've been told cutting on the bias (angle across the weave) helps with this.
jjet
Old 02-15-2012, 12:36 PM

For stuff like that, I prefer to cut bias tapes from 9oz 7725 fiberglass cloth. The 7725 drapes really well, especially on the bias, and wets out pretty easily.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:00 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

I am by no means a fiberglass expert, but i was raised by a Home Ec teacher, which means I learned a lot about sewing my own outdoors equipment at an early age....so I agree with Bob - cutting strips from regular cloth on a bias will make things drape much better on the compound curves, ultimately making a better part that is easier to finish. I like applying tape because of the finished edges, but those edges make it harder to lay it on a curve, and the edges will also create bumps that will need to be sanded away.

The good thing about glass work is that it is fairly easy to sand it off and re-work it if you don't like the results.

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 02-15-2012, 01:09 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
I am by no means a fiberglass expert, but i was raised by a Home Ec teacher, which means I learned a lot about sewing my own outdoors equipment at an early age....so I agree with Bob - cutting strips from regular cloth on a bias will make things drape much better on the compound curves, ultimately making a better part that is easier to finish. I like applying tape because of the finished edges, but those edges make it harder to lay it on a curve, and the edges will also create bumps that will need to be sanded away.

The good thing about glass work is that it is fairly easy to sand it off and re-work it if you don't like the results.

Paul
You can actually get both in a single package...

A 45 degree bias in tape format. West Systems sells it as a double layer tape, and it does work well...

http://www.pyacht.com/west-biaxial-tape.htm
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 02-15-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kuykendall View Post
For stuff like that, I prefer to cut bias tapes from 9oz 7725 fiberglass cloth. The 7725 drapes really well, especially on the bias, and wets out pretty easily.
Agree with Bob...7725 twill or 7781 8-harness.

Tape is fine, if the lay doesn't include compound curvature and if the selvage (the thick edge you see in the photos) won't be a bother.