- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2010, 07:49 PM

Default NACA vent for overhead console

I need a recomendation in regard to sizing the NACA scoops for the Aerosport overhead console. I see that aircraft spruce offers numerous size options. Also, looking for a location on the Tail Cone to locate the vent. I don't have my fuse kit yet, but want to get started with the vent
Bill
Old 12-03-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill.Peyton View Post
I need a recomendation in regard to sizing the NACA scoops for the Aerosport overhead console. I see that aircraft spruce offers numerous size options. Also, looking for a location on the Tail Cone to locate the vent. I don't have my fuse kit yet, but want to get started with the vent
Bill
Just get them from Van's.....

NACA low drag sidewall mount hose interface
Part Number = VENT SV-1
Price = $6.25

This is the same part that you'll also have up front in your fuselage. There's no rush to put them on. The top skin is the last thing you'll put on the fuselage, so you'll have easy access through 95% of the build.

bob
Old 12-03-2010, 08:58 PM

Agree with Bob L. - just use the NACA vents from Van's. Putting them at the same level as the static ports in the forward most bay of the tailcone works very well and is a short run to feed an overhead console.

Bob
Old 12-03-2010, 09:35 PM

Do you need to install two naca ducts or just one? I was just hooking mine up and wondering about this same thing when the post came up!
Old 12-03-2010, 09:46 PM

The Vans price is a lot less then the others, so it sounds like a good plan to me. I just looked at their web site. I guess I should have started there! How far in front of the static vent did you place the vent? J, I am using 2 vents and the Aerosport vent control system.
Bob, I just looked at your last kitlog post. When the snow is on the inside of your hanger, you know you need a warmer hanger or bigger heater!!

Last edited by Bill.Peyton : 12-03-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDanno View Post
Do you need to install two naca ducts or just one? I was just hooking mine up and wondering about this same thing when the post came up!
Need - one will work, but this conversation has come up before. I don't know anyone that just installed one. I guess most of us prefer symmetry .

Quote:
How far in front of the static vent did you place the vent? J, I am using 2 vents and the Aerosport vent control system.
No right answer to this one. Some have put it right behind the baggage bulkhead. (Like I did shown below) Others have centered in that section. My reasoning was to allow ample space for the duct to make the u-turn back to the bulkhead. The static port is much further back.

Quote:
Bob, I just looked at your last kitlog post. When the snow is on the inside of your hanger, you know you need a warmer hanger or bigger heater!!
The snow disappeared pretty quickly once I turned on the heater. It is a curious thing how the snow stacked up like that on the door frame, but no snow was on the floor. While I was working and it was snowing harder, I couldn't see how the snow was getting into the hangar. I'm sure I'll figure it out before the winter is over.

Last edited by rleffler : 12-04-2010 at 04:14 AM.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:40 AM

Thanks Bob. My fuse and wing kits are supposed to arrive next week, so it looks like I will put this off for a while. I wish I had thought of this sooner when I needed something to work on!
Bill
Old 12-05-2010, 12:15 PM

Default Rear NACA Vents

I am trying to avoid fiberglass sanding.
Decided to post some pics instead.

The NACA scoops are positioned to allow unkinked routing and unfettered acces to the rear of the tail cone.

34 inches from the rear of the scoop to the static port.

Vent control installed in the panel. Even though the controler has an off position it is only off in the open or close position, whichever you choose to program. I decided to install an on off switch so that the unit could be turned off in any position.
Running on E10 mogas
Don't believe everything you know.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:27 PM

We put the same ones that came with the fuselage in the back as shown above and they worked great.
Savannah, GA and Ridgeland, SC
Old 12-05-2010, 04:44 PM

Great Photos! Appreciate the time
Bill