What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another very sad accident

RIP --

...a sad event.

The newspaper article covered the homebuilt aspect well, which is a change.

This is at my home field

It appears that there were witnesses to this accident and folks had chatted with the accident victims prior to the flight. Hopefully this will aid in the investigation of what happened.
My symphathies to the family. It is hard to see this kind of thing happen.

Gary Specketer

Some Details

Keith and a few other people had just returned from a fuel run. Several aircraft had participated. An eyewitness said Keith and Christopher (his son) departed Monticello Airstrip downhill and (4000 feet) and climbed. The aircraft made a left turn and did not recover. There was no pain for either person. That I can assure you. The aircraft was bright yellow with white stripes and other vinyl decorations. His Daughter picked out the first paint scheme, his son the second. He loved life and will be missed dearly. It was my pleasure to know him since 2005. He was a very unique individual and proud to be who he was.

Best
Brian

I have not seen this until today. Keith Newcomer of Arcata, CA and his son Christopher have been confirmed fatalities in a crash Saturday near Macon GA.

http://www.macon.com/2010/10/19/1307767/pilot-son-likely-victims-of-jasper.html

Definitely sad to hear.

Don't know if anyone else noticed this in the article - for once a reporter did not immediately go into "let's flame experimental aircraft mode." Nice to know that there's at least one professional reporter still on the job.

Might be worthwhile for us to write the reporter and compliment them on the professional writeup.

for once a reporter did not immediately go into "let's flame experimental aircraft mode." Nice to know that there's at least one professional reporter still on the job.

Let me know if you ever want more examples.

So very sad to hear these things. My heart aches for the rest of the family. Seven years old. I just don't know family members go on after things like. It makes me want to work even harder to fly even safer.

Last edited:
Keith & Chris

Keith was one of the good guys. He offered me a ride in the Yellow Bird down to Covington and was always welcome at Jackson County...he will be missed, Blue Skies Keith,
Jerry

Blue Skies

Keith was one of the good guys. He offered me a ride in the Yellow Bird down to Covington and was always welcome at Jackson County...he will be missed, Blue Skies Keith,
Jerry

Jerry
Well said Thank you
Keith's Brother and may this post fly way soon.

Yep, Keith was a good, friendly free spirit who never met a stranger. I talked 'shop' with him several times when I would swing into Jackson County to fuel up. His accident is especially heart breaking given the loss of his little boy.

It's been a bad month as one of our hangar partners was lost two weeks ago in an Ercoupe accident off the end of 25 at LZU.

Back