Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-09-2009, 07:51 PM
JOAT-MON & Moderator

Default Bullet Holes

Another reason to make sure your fuel gauges work, and not to just 'time' your fuel.

A 172 (may as well have been an RV) left my home base the other day for a short flight. When he returned he discovered that he had been a target. The bullet missed the left fuel tank by about 6".....and it missed the pilot by only about 4'.

Here's a pic of where the round entered the bottom of the left wing:

Here's the exit hole in the top of the wing....slightly larger than the entry hole:

If you look closely at this pic you can see daylight from the entry hole clean through the exit hole:

For comparison, the round universal rivet heads are 1/8" (shank). Any of you rifle owners care to take a guess on what size bullet would make a hole that large?

I suppose an investigation would be difficult at best?

BRONZE / SILVER & GOLD LINDY AWARD WINNING RV's & Rockets

EAA Oshkosh Homebuilt Judge/Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor / F.A.S.T. Formation Flight Lead

Kitfox/RV4/6/7/8/9/10/12/14?s
6 RV10's
2 Time Sun n Fun Grand Champion
F1 Rocket #1 Oshkosh Gold Lindy Grand Champion!
F1 Rocket #2 :-)
Fastback RV8 Slider
RV14 #2 in progress

54 RV's & Rockets & counting

Whirlwind Prop Dealer

Love my Pitts S-1S
Old 06-09-2009, 08:02 PM

My guess is .30 caliber. An 1/8" rivet is .125 and I load and shoot my own .308 rounds and that looks close enough to more than double the factory head to me. (.308 is the caliber in inches BTW) Without witness' and knowing exactly where he was when he got hit I'd guess it would be impossible to know who did it.

Preview plans for a -7...for now.

You can have things done 3 ways...
1. Cheap
2. Fast
3. Right
...Pick two.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:08 PM

Default Looks like a 22 to me

It looks like the the velocity was low enough the that it tore the lower skin then tumbled (keyholed) out the top.

Bob Axsom
Old 06-09-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Axsom View Post
It looks like the the velocity was low enough the that it tore the lower skin then tumbled (keyholed) out the top.

Bob Axsom
Depending on altitude and the angle the dumb*** shot it at a .30 cal could lose enough velocity to tumble after it hit. The .30 cal is *really* only good to 500 to 600 yards without falling exponentially in velocity and ft-lbs of energy. Don't get me wrong... a .22 could do the same thing but the hole looked too big for less than .100" difference.

Preview plans for a -7...for now.

You can have things done 3 ways...
1. Cheap
2. Fast
3. Right
...Pick two.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:33 PM

It might be just me, but I would report this to the authorities. If it happens once, it can happen to someone else. There would be at least one point recorded for beginning a history. Maybe there is a GPS or radar track of where the plane went. Luckily, no one was injured. The next plane might not be so lucky.

Just my thoughts.

Tom
RV-7A N175TJ Flying
Old 06-09-2009, 08:39 PM

I think DHS, TSA, and the FBI would like to hear about this one. After all, it is a federal offence to shoot at a plane.

Two things, I suspect he was low when he was holed. Probably around 500' AGL. The other thought would be to check his GPS track and then go ask the neighbors in the area if they heard any shots at that time.

As an odd thought, I wonder if someone is growing some special crops on his route of flight.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 06-09-2009, 08:50 PM

Default Make report

I agree with Bill: you must report this to the authorities.

Ray Williams
Australia

7A emp, QB wings and fuse ordered
Old 06-09-2009, 08:52 PM

If it where me I would absolutely report this, with a gps track or radar track they just might figure it out.
We build many of your RV weldments.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:01 PM

Default Report it

That's a dang "good" shot to actually hit an aircraft moving - maybe 110 knots - a few thousand feet up. Scary.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:22 PM

Default Illegal activity below?

About six years ago I was involved in some special (super secret) radio waveform testing for the government. The tests were conducted in TN. My job was to design and integrate antenna's on 10 C-172 and 10 ground vehicles. The C-172's would fly dedicated patterns in the area, multiple aircraft if the air most of the time for hours. The ground vehicles were parked throughout the country side.

We were given a bus tour of the ground vehicle's parking locations months before the test. During the tour the local Air Force base commander told us that prior to the tests the sheriffs deputies will go door to door telling the residents about the pending activity.

The reason? So they won't shoot at the ground vehicle's or C-172's that will be passing overhead for weeks and weeks.

There are a lot of interesting things growing down there.

No offense to TN, it is very pretty state.

Paul