What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 clock install

rgmwa

Well Known Member
I've got a 12V electric clock that I'm thinking of installing in the RV-12's panel to replace a very nice but now deceased vintage 8-day mechanical clock. I'm sure it would be trivial task for many of you, but what's the best way to do it? The clock has a light, but I don't need that. Just need to know where the red and black wires should go without shorting out everything in that maze of pre-fabricated wiring that makes the RV-12 avionics installation so easy.

If your RV-12 has the original 5 amp power outlet inline fuse connected to the battery, then tap into that circuit with the clock's red wire. If not, install a new inline fuse holder to the battery positive terminal and use a 3 amp or smaller fuse. Of course the clock black wire connects to ground (earth).
The clock could eventually run the battery down if isn't recharged periodically.

If you don't want to run a wire all the way to the battery, consider this option. Pin 14 on the connector coming out of the back of the AV-50001 Switch & Fuse Module is a spare ... it has +12 volts on it but no internal fuse. That is connector ES-205208-1 on the wiring diagram. Note: Pin 14 is not always "hot" it is only hot when the master switch is on, so it would be necessary to reset the clock for each flight .... (but you won't drain the battery between flights).

All you need to do is crimp a pin on a wire and insert it into position 14 on the connector and you will pick up the +12 volts needed for your clock ... run that wire to an inline fuse for protection. I can't imagine the clock needing more than a 1 or 2 amp inline fuse.

I wanted power for a switchable left landing light and tapping into pin 14 on the Switch & Fuse Module worked out great.

Happy flying,

Last edited:
I just wear a watch. It doesn't run the plane battery down. It' doesn't get subjected to all the vibrations. It doesn't need to be wired up. Simplicity.

eBay has many working 8-day clocks. And a good watch repair shop can often fix them.

I'm putting one on my RV-3B.

Dave

All helpful replies

Joe: my RV-12 is the early Skyview version with the conversion harness, so it's possible. I will check. I planned to put a small switch under the panel to isolate the clock and prevent the battery drain.

John-G: I saw that unused pin on the wiring diagram and had the same idea. Thanks!

NinerBikes: can't argue with that of course, but that vintage clock looked great in the panel and was surprisingly useful. Now there's a hole there, and just blanking it off seems such a waste of a well engineered hole.

Dave: Yes there are, and that's the other option I'm still considering. The problem is they are old. Mine was refurbished, but the mainspring eventually broke from fatigue and replacement parts are hard to come by.

Thanks all. I think that pretty well covers all the options.

Last edited:
i found an 8 day vintage clock with a timer function. way cool. hole is cut in panel waiting for it for my 12.just because there was one in my piper that i learned to fly in.

Also consider coin-size battery-operated quartz clocks and quartz pocket watches, that is if you want a clock with hands. There are also battery operated digital clocks.

There is not a lot of panel space if you have dual MFDs. Since the MFDs have time displays I would not want to give up panel real estate for a simple clock. I have the first generation avionics with the D180 and D100 combo. I added a FreeFlight ADS-B and second comm. When I wanted to add the VOR/ILS to shoot practice approaches I had to install a small sub panel under the throttle knob. I?d save the real estate for future avionics developments rather than put in a clock.

There is not a lot of panel space if you have dual MFDs. Since the MFDs have time displays I would not want to give up panel real estate for a simple clock. I have the first generation avionics with the D180 and D100 combo. I added a FreeFlight ADS-B and second comm. When I wanted to add the VOR/ILS to shoot practice approaches I had to install a small sub panel under the throttle knob. I?d save the real estate for future avionics developments rather than put in a clock.

All true Rich, but I don't have dual MFD's and don't need all that extra hardware, so I'm happy with a simple and completely unnecessary clock. In fact I just found a very nice Wittnaeur on eBay that is on its way and still have a new 12v backup handy (plus a watch and my iPhone) if I ever need one. :)

To each their own! That?s what I love about ELSA and EAB: It gives us all the freedom to customize our steeds to our our unique visions. I hope it works out as you want.

Rich

To each their own! That?s what I love about ELSA and EAB: It gives us all the freedom to customize our steeds to our our unique visions. I hope it works out as you want.

Rich
Agreed. We're very lucky to be able to build and fly pretty much as and where we please. Now, if only I could get my radio to work properly! There's always something that needs fixing! :confused:

Back