What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Control Stick Slop

kearney

Well Known Member
Hi

I have noticed that there is more forward/backward movement in the control stick than I would like. It appears is the due to the control stick OD being somewhat smaller than the WD-1011 ID. Has anyone else encountered this and if so what was the solution.

Note the left right movement seems okay.

Cheers

Les

RV10 - C-GCWZ sold
RV10 - C-GROK almost complete

Perhaps a small through and through vertical screw or bolt just behind the transverse bolt in the plans? Or a wrap of tape around the stick to make a closer tolerance fit to the W1011? If it is a diameter mismatch, how about increasing the diameter of the aft end of the control stick slightly with a small strategically placed spot weld filed down so that the parts still nest but tight enough that it can't rock up and down or side to side.

Last edited:
Slop

I have the same issue. I mentioned it to Jesse Saint and he said we could fix it but not how. Following the thread.

Shim

I have a very slight slop in mine fore and aft. I was thinking about sliding a .032 AL shim in between the stick and weldment.

I have a very slight slop in mine fore and aft. I was thinking about sliding a .032 AL shim in between the stick and weldment.

Shimming is a good way to address this issue. However, you will likely find the shim needed to be in the .002-.005 range. Mcmaster Carr sells shims of this thickness, including kits with a variety in the.001 - .010 range. You can also use plastic shims for this application. If the ID / OD is off by .032"+ you would have real problems and should be well outside of Van's tolerances.

Larry

Last edited:
Shimming is a good way to address this issue. However, you will likely find the shim needed to be in the .002-.005 range. Mcmaster Carr sells shims of this thickness, including kits with a variety in the.001 - .010 range. You can also use plastic shims for this application. If the ID / OD is off by .032"+ you would have real problems and should be well outside of Van's tolerances.

Larry

Thanks Larry. After I typed I thought .032 was a bit much. Thanks for the mc master carr source.

I wrapped mine with aluminum HVAC tape to give a snug slip fit.

Custom brass bushings

Hi Les,

I had the same issue and it was driving me nuts. I have a friend with a metal lathe that was kind enough to make me some brass bushings .380od x.250id x 2 5/16 long. It took him about 15 minutes.

Before I did that I was thinking of making a shim as mentioned in some of the other posts. Lee Valley Tools has some thin brass foil sheets in different thicknesses.

Last edited:
I replaced my brass with a Delrin bushing I machined. No slop.

I thought the OP was talking about slop in the stick OD to control bracket ID. I had to make new bushings as well to eliminate slop from the rotating component. I had to make them for bell cranks and nose gear leg attach as well. Tolerances were pretty loose in my opinion. Some required a bit of custom taper as well. Seems the round stock is reamed before welding.

Larry

Back