VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-12-2019, 02:30 PM

Default ADSB Anonymous Mode?

I am installing a GDL 82 in my RV-7. I've read some older posts regarding this topic but haven't found any recent updates.

I am wondering if I should wire a switch for 'Anonymous Mode'. I understand that the only thing that Anonymous Mode does for you is that your N number is not displayed if your below 18,000' and squawking 1200. I also understand the FARs in that if your aircraft is ADSB out equipped, it must be operational whenever the aircraft is operating/in motion (meaning no 'off' or 'standby' modes).

Wouldn't you meet the FARs regarding ADSB operation in Anonymous Mode? What about flying over Class B airspace. Technically, your ADSB Out is still operating but your N number is not being displayed.
FFR Roadster (sold)
Old 02-12-2019, 03:11 PM

There's no switch. It's a config setting. With it ON you will broadcast a phony id when you squawk 1200. Any other squawk will send your real tail number. The GDL82 is 978mhz and not legal above 18,000'.

1950 Navion - flying
RV-6 - 18 yrs and 99.5% done
1940 Rearwin Cloudster project next
4 L-2 projects on deck
Old 02-12-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyoung View Post
There's no switch. It's a config setting. With it ON you will broadcast a phony id when you squawk 1200. Any other squawk will send your real tail number. The GDL82 is 978mhz and not legal above 18,000'.
This is NOT correct. There is a switch that must be installed on the GDL82. If one wishes to operate it in anonymous mode, you would have to engage that mode using that switch. Also, it is not broadcasting a 'phony' ID. An ADS-B display will show "VFR" in place of your N number.

The original poster's comments are correct. One note though concerning your comment about keeping the ADS-B on. What you stated is correct, but don't be confused thinking the anonymous mode 'turns off' the ADS-B. It does not. It only prevents the unit from broadcasting your N number when activated by the switch.
https://rvwings.com

Live Long And Prosper! 🖖🏻
Old 02-12-2019, 03:48 PM

Default Yes there is

A switch. You can wire a switch that let's you go anonymous or squawk your n number.
You can only be anonymous when squawking 1200. Any other code it will transmit your n number. The anonymous mode will squawk a random code I'm sure the faa will find you if they want.
You DON'T need to wire the switch it's optional.

Last edited by BobRv4 : 02-12-2019 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Added note
Old 02-12-2019, 03:50 PM

Does it also stop sending out your unique serial number so ATC can't track you if you are squawking 1200?

Oh wait, mode-S does that anyway.

**** the FAA for tacking all of us.

BTW, commercial boaters are now required to install something similar and they are not pleased about it.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 02-12-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
Does it also stop sending out your unique serial number so ATC can't track you if you are squawking 1200?

Oh wait, mode-S does that anyway.

**** the FAA for tacking all of us.

BTW, commercial boaters are now required to install something similar and they are not pleased about it.
Hey Bill, think of the FAA as your wife. If your doing something you wouldn?t want them to know about.....you probably shouldn?t be doing it.😇
Pitts S2B- sold
Chattanooga, Tn
Dues Paid
Old 02-12-2019, 04:30 PM

Mode S, 1090ES = Self Lojacked.

Mode C only, UAT 978 Out only, optional lojacking. My GRT EFIS shows a constant traffic alert of me to me as a VFR1200 code if I chose Anonymous. Toggle the Skybeacon Anonymous off, GRT recognizes and suppresses myself.

Avare acts similarly.

Old 02-12-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracy View Post
Hey Bill, think of the FAA as your wife. If your doing something you wouldn?t want them to know about.....you probably shouldn?t be doing it.😇
I hope you will find people digging in to your finances, purchasing habits, and location with such acceptance.

Your comment has already been registered in your dossier to associate your views with others like you, and has been sold to many agencies for their targeted influence campaigns.

RV-7
Lord Kelvin:
I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about,
and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you
cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge
is of a meager and unsatisfactory kind.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:48 PM

Default Anonymous mode for 1090ES

Check out the feb 2019 issue of AOPA Magazine. There?s a nice article about The efforts to implement an anonymous mode for 1090ES. They are talking about a ?rolling? ICAO code. Not at all sure how that would be implemented. Sounds like they have some level of buy-in from the FAA so this may actually happen. Any thoughts from the xponder manufacturers that monitor VAF?
This complicates my decision on upgrading....
Old 02-12-2019, 06:08 PM

If you depart with a code, like from a Class C, then switch to anonymous mode when ATC tells you to squawk VFR, "the system" continues to track your flight under your N-number. Doing it the other way around, "the system" only shows your track beginning at the point when you were given a squawk code. At least, that's been my experience with my GDL-82. It's my belief that if you want to remain anonymous, you must depart and land squawking 1200 in anonymous mode. Personally, I don't see the point.