What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 options

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
I was wondering if there should be a "sticky" with "better" options for building. The kit comes with with the basics. What are the upgrades? This would make it much easier to think about before you get the kits.

For example:

Beringer wheels and brakes
Matco Nose wheel (the correct one) and axle
skybolt cowling and oil door fasteners
Aircraft Specialty fuel line kits, SS brake lines, and FWF hoses
push button lock line for air vents (Air Craft Spruce A-700 72)
Exhaust options

This could be an excel spread sheet with options: pros and cons versus the stuff that comes with the kit and cost of original with kit versus alternative option. Maybe links to key threads that talk about the changes.

I think that is a great idea. I am a first time builder working on an RV14. The problem I have is that I don't know what I don't know. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Good idea, and of course some thread drift:

How do the Aircraft Spruce vent controls (I assume used for heat vents) differ from Van's supplied controls?

don't use kit fresh air vents

Good idea, and of course some thread drift:

How do the Aircraft Spruce vent controls (I assume used for heat vents) differ from Van's supplied controls?

The first change I made was yo not use the vans supplied fresh air eyeballs. I live in cold weather and they seem to be manufactured to leak air. I am glad I noted it and got others. I bought some used from VAF when they came up on a classified from a rebuild. New ones that would work well are an amazing amount of money.
Larry

Options

Hello,

My choices:

Full Beringer kit : flawless efficiency. The hoses are serious ;)
Airvents from Steinair : aluminium. No air leak, easy to set. Very nice product.
Skybolt camlocs: I just regret to have not converted the hinge around the firewall (already riveted in the QB).
Oil door : 2 Hartwell latches : very safe and flush (vs Van's fasteners).
Tosten military grips : with the modifiued stick for RV 14 !!
Pitot : pitot/AOA by Garmin to G3X. Heated and regulated.

I don't regret any.:)

Is it possible to install the heated pitot in the end when I'm doing the avionics?
Otherwise I'd have to decide whether I'm going with Garmin or Dynon right now.

I too am a new builder and like the idea of having a summary of upgrades to consider.

One thing that I plan to upgrade is the fuel tank caps. The ones I have are the plastic tapered ones with 'O' rings and are known for collecting water around the 'O' ring and then in the fuel the water goes when you take the cap off. I've even heard them called 'killer caps' by some who were familiar with them on the factory built planes.

I was wondering if there should be a "sticky" with "better" options for building. The kit comes with with the basics. What are the upgrades? This would make it much easier to think about before you get the kits.

"Better" is a subjective term. Many of the things you listed are heavier, which may not make them "better".

One thing that is better is the Andair fuel valve, if the -14 doesn't come with one.

I would also say a DJM Throttle Quadrant is "better" than the Cessna style controls.

Upgrades- Starter motor, Front wheel, Airvents, Armrest

The starter motor on the stock Vans IO 390 can hardly turn the engine through the first compression, after that its OK. The much better starter motor is the 149 NL - make sure you order that.

The front wheel from Vans- the tube they give you hits the fork and wont rotate unless you take the valve cap off. There are better wheels and tubes around. Look at the tubeless.

The plastic fresh air vents are terrible. Vans does themselves a disservice supplying those, get the aluminium vents Vans sells.

Make yourself a centre armrest - they fit easy and will make a difference.

The starter motor on the stock Vans IO 390 can hardly turn the engine through the first compression, after that its OK.

I hear this a lot, but I have never had an issue with the stock starter. I now have well over 200 starts without an issue with either the starter or the battery (which also seems to come in for criticism).

I see it's lighter weight as a pluss.

I did go with aluminum air vents.

As far as pitot installation during wing build, it depends on which type of pitot heat. Add the mast at build time, but if you are going to add pitot heat with the control unit, you do need to plan on how you will mount the control unit. I went with Garmin's heated pitot without the control unit so it was simple to install and wire up to the installed mast. I provisioned for the wiring at wing build time as well.

Last edited:
Back