VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-05-2014, 07:26 AM

Default -10 rudder trim

I am also a rookie. We are currently awaiting delivery of an RV10 Empennage and this was my first question as well! Reading some of the excellent build websites I see rudders being built early on and people cutting chunks out of them. I am thinking 'EEK!', I don't want to be doing that at an early stage! So rudder bias looks like the perfect answer to me. But then I see another post saying it does not work with....what exactly? In what circumstances can you not fit this simple bias system? We want to have an IFR aircraft ultimately. Does that have any bearing?
Old 07-05-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colestopp View Post
I am also a rookie. We are currently awaiting delivery of an RV10 Empennage and this was my first question as well! Reading some of the excellent build websites I see rudders being built early on and people cutting chunks out of them. I am thinking 'EEK!', I don't want to be doing that at an early stage! So rudder bias looks like the perfect answer to me. But then I see another post saying it does not work with....what exactly? In what circumstances can you not fit this simple bias system? We want to have an IFR aircraft ultimately. Does that have any bearing?
The Aerosport Products rudder trim works just fine. The problem that some builders run into when installing the trim as an after thought are too many devices contending for space under the panel.

The trim requires a straight shot from the rudder bars to wherever you mount the control. If you take that into account as you lay out your panel and harness, there isn't an issue. Just ensure nothing extends below the sub panel perpendicular to where you mount the control box.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
...Reading some of the excellent build websites I see rudders being built early on and people cutting chunks out of them. I am thinking 'EEK!', I don't want to be doing that at an early stage! ...
Welcome to VAF!

Some of the trim systems I see are simply to rivet on a section of piano hinge to the trailing edge and mount a servo in the rudder.

Try using the search function and see what comes up.

Here are a couple of good threads on the subject:
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ad.php?t=64320
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ad.php?t=23591
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 07-05-2014, 10:04 AM

Default rv10 rudder trim

Thanks! We have a slightly different system in UK in that changes from standard have to be approved. I have now discovered the no one in UK has chopped a bit out of the rudder, so that is not a sensible option for me. It will be rudder bias or nothing in our case!
Old 07-05-2014, 10:16 AM

Other than climbs and flares, my plane flights straight so I havent found a need for a rudder trim. I think most people that want/use one are because they are worried about holding right rudder for extended climbs. I really dont notice it.
Flying - AKA Still Tinkering
Build Project Site
Old 07-05-2014, 10:52 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF!

Quote:
I am also a rookie.
Stephen, welcome to VAF

I did the cut in tab in the rudder, servo driven and controlled with the Cooley hat switch in the stick grip. Works just fine, and I would not want to fly without it.

Others have used Geoff's spring bias system, and feel the same about it.

Choice is yours, do what makes you happy.

Good to have you aboard.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 07-05-2014, 03:26 PM

Default rv10 trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieWaffles View Post
Other than climbs and flares, my plane flights straight so I havent found a need for a rudder trim. I think most people that want/use one are because they are worried about holding right rudder for extended climbs. I really dont notice it.
Thanks for that too, and the link to your build site as I had not seen that before!
Old 07-05-2014, 06:05 PM

Default Spring Bias System

Maybe this will work for you.
It works very well for me.
Vans Flap motor or other linear actuator mounted on a rail.
One spring is fixed the other is actuated for and aft.
Controlled via a relay deck and connected to buttons on the stick.
A trim servo is not strong enough and actuator travel is too short.
Side benefit: No need to cut up the rudder and spring tension keeps the rudder from flopping around. This is only true for "light wind" conditions.

Running on E10 mogas
Don't believe everything you know.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieWaffles View Post
Actually, I want it more for extended slow flight. I plan to fly to Oshkosh when mine is finally completed and I just know, with my luck, I'll get stuck behind a Cub.
http://www.mykitlog.com/flion/
EAA Technical Counselor #5357
Old 07-06-2014, 08:46 PM

Default +1 for Aerosport Rudder Trim

Quote:
If your -10 is like most, you will need a little rudder trim in cruise and it can vary as you use/switch tanks, change aileron trim, etc. I used Geoff's trim system because it is simple, inexpensive, and it works. I flew without any rudder trim for a few dozen hours before Geoff produced his long-awaited product. I set it initially with some slight right trim (of course) and rarely move it more than 1/8 of a turn, just tweaking it slightly in flight. Remember, keep it simple. It doesn't need any metalwork, circuit breakers, carving on the rudder, motors, relays, or hinges. Oh, and did I mention that it works?