What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Wing Differences, original vs -1

Status
Not open for further replies.
We purchased an RV 8 wing kit in 1999 from Vans that has a 1.25 top main spar cap which, I believe, is the original spar sold for the 8. I am reading on VAF that there is now a -1 wing in new wing kits with 1.5 top spar cap being shipped. Could someone please tell me when this new -1 wing was created and shipped, why it replaced the original wing spar and describe all the physical and aircraft performance differences that have been changed with the -1 kit, ie. higher a/c gross wt., more g's for acro, etc. Please be as specific and detailed as you can. THANKS to all for your inputs!

Inquiring minds want to know!!!

DBR

This is what I learned from Van's and a couple of other people that I've talked to:

Beginning in Jan 2001, Van's started shipping the -1 wing with the higher aerobatic gross weight.

The original invoice that my wing kit shipped with had, in the "part number/description column "RV-8Q Kit -1".

I bought a wing kit from a guy who originally purchased a quick-build RV-8 kit back in early 2001. Since I knew that was right around the time that the -1 wings started shipping, I was just looking for a way to tell definitively.

Here's an earlier thread on the subject. Check out the post from Chaskuss: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?p=855157#post855157

Last edited:
Thanks Ken, Is there anything published that you have seen that describes the g load tolerances of the -1 wing vs. the original wing as we are ready to do our original wings but would maybe purchase the -1 wings if they give us some cost effective advantages and better lift performance/capability? We have seen nothing on this -1 wing. Thanks again!

DBR

Spar Root markings

If I remember correctly the spars are marked with the SN. at the root stub with an electric scribe on 888, The dash at the end of that SN. being -1 will indicate that it is a dash one. They did this to keep track of the spars and keep the correct left and right spars that are matched and reamed together after they come out of the jig. Yes the check of the size and length is needed a well. Hope this helps Yours as always R.E.A. III #80888

The only difference I am aware of is the original RV-8 wing has Max Aeros Weight (+6g/-3g) 1550lb, the -1 1600lb. There is no other difference in pilot / handling / performance terms.

Thanks Ken, Is there anything published that you have seen that describes the g load tolerances of the -1 wing vs. the original wing as we are ready to do our original wings but would maybe purchase the -1 wings if they give us some cost effective advantages and better lift performance/capability? We have seen nothing on this -1 wing. Thanks again!

DBR

I haven't seen anything. As far as I know G load limits are the same. I believe it was only the published aerobatic gross weight that changed.

I haven't seen anything. As far as I know G load limits are the same. I believe it was only the published aerobatic gross weight that changed.

That is correct the aerobatic weight went up 50 lbs. with the "-1". That is also my understanding.

Thanks to all who took the time to submit your inputs. I also talked to Sterling at the mother ship in Oregon and found out that the -1 with a different size top main spar cap came out to help with tooling setup commonality during manufacturing 7 and 8 wing kits with new prepunched fuselage kits for those aircraft kits. He also confirmed that an increase in acrobatic gross weight came about with the -1 wing spars. He thought that it was a 50 lb increase but was not sure of that. Again, thanks to all for your help educating me in our 8 build!

Doug, Darryn, and Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back